I am going to try to hunt quail this season but don't have a hunting dog. What are my chances? I've heard of quail calls to calm them down when approaching them, but do they work and which ones are best. I will be around the Whetstone and Huachuca mountain areas. Thanks.

Quail calls work for Gambles quail. I use them for trying to locate a covey. After I get a response I head that direction and try to find the covey. They will run and flush ahead of you so you got to move quickly. Lohman makes one that works well as long as you know how to blow into it.

Those two mountain ranges have Mearns quail. Those are going to be hard to find without a dog. IMOP

If your hunting Gambles you will have no problem getting into birds! Have fun and enjoy getting the crap scared out of you when a covey fulshes at your feet:)

• Like 5

I hunted quail a lot when I was stationed down there

I had better luck between tombstone and Gleason on Gleason rd

If you don't have a spot. Maybe start off around a water hole. And walk around. Or if you seen them in an area while you drove by get out and beat the bush. Always pay attention to their calls. As soon as I hear them call I'll try to pin point were they are at and just walk that direction. Usually that always works. If you don't here calls I still will come across a covey within in a mile or two of walking . This advace is only for gambles though.

• Like 1

If you want to go I have some good places to go just gets hard to flush and shoot them solo like I have been I live outside of Benson and will take you pm me if you would like to go

• Like 3

The Lohman calls work great for Gambel's quail. When you blow them, say "Chi-qui-ta" like the banana.

• Like 4

I have seen more quail this year than any year since 93. Lots of double hatch coveys. Last weekend I saw a pair with brand new babies...wonder if it could have been a third hatch although I have never heard of one.

Find some water and work the drainages feeding it, you will find plenty of quail. I use a call, but only after I have busted up a covey. I call as they are looking for each other to regroup. Good luck.

• Like 2

Some people say chi ca go. If they run like rabbits then shoot them like rabbits.

Is that like shooting ducks on the water?

Thanks for everyone's response. Another question, snake gaiters or not?

I don't use them but then again I usually don't go until mid to late November when snakes are gone