swwildlife

Mountain in trophy room

Where did you hunt ? At one of those Texas exotic petting zoo. Looks cool

Most of the animals in there come from tajikistan, pakistan, etc. waay up in the mountains in some very hostile places. The big ones are members of the argali sheep family. Amazing animals.

• Like 1

Mountains are something international trophy hunters have been using to display their mountain game for years. One such mountain in Georgia takes up most of three 50x100-foot steel buildings that are connected end-to-end. The owner had taken no fewer than 16 Marco Polo argalis when I ghostwrote his book ten years ago, and he still is hunting them!

However, the most spectacular mountain I've seen is on a ranch about two hours from Mexico City. This mountain even has a running creek with a waterfall, with a lifesize mount for every mountain game animal category in the SCI record books. (When SCI creates a new category, the guy gets on a plane and flys off to collect the animal.) His mountain completely fills a room that is 40x80 feet with 30-foot ceilings, and is complete with trees and brush. It can be viewed from floor level, and from above when the cloud-painted "sky's" door is opened in a guest bedroom.

The owner has two more such rooms in his 33,000 sq.ft. home -- one is filled only African game, the other for antlered game. The wide hallways in his 14-bedroom home are filled with lifesize mounts of other game from everywhere in the world. There are lots of photos of the trophy rooms in "Wind In My Face," the book I wrote for Hubert Thummler. Safari Press has a "trade" edition on sale now.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2