flatline

3 months of watching Coues

I put game cams up in June. I been watching the bucks grow their new antlers and such. Well the day comes for opening day OTC deer. We get all setup on Thursday morning at camp. We all are waiting for Friday morning cause all the pics in the cams showed lots of bucks for almost 3 months. well all weekend hunting and seeing ever other animal except a buck. Well after Sunday morning with no luck again decided to pack it up and leave. Well while the generator is still running and me and my son making all kinds of noise, my son says dad look. I said look at what he says that buck, 50 yards away traveling right to one of my tree stands. I tried to stalk him but it was to dry and ground was crunchy so i got busted. My question is why is it that they show up when I’m not there. I use scent spray and have three areas that where covered by me and 2 friends where these deer are traveling and none of us seen a buck.Any suggestions.

That is why it is called "hunting" and not "killing".

Deer are fickle beasts.

I understand that but i know people who get one every year. I not so lucky. 7 years nothing and same area hunting.

Scent spray is a joke. You can't defeat the wind with a bottle of distilled water.

• Like 2

you didnt sit long enough it sounds like

I figured i didn’t, I just couldn’t sit anymore, I sat 3 to 4 hours in the morning and 3 to 4 hours in the evening.

3-4 hours morning and evening is not enough, especially over 2 and a half days. I have sat a treestand from an hour before sunup until well after dark for 7 days waiting on a specific buck to show....which he did....and I missed.....

• Like 7

3-4 hours morning and evening is not enough, especially over 2 and a half days. I have sat a treestand from an hour before sunup until well after dark for 7 days waiting on a specific buck to show....which he did....and I missed.....

Yep, me too. Three days from 4:00 AM to about 7:30 PM in a blind. My 120" buck I had been waiting on showed up about 6:45 PM at last light on my last day. He came into 25 yards......... and I missed. My biggest hunting hall of shame moment of my life to date.

• Like 2

Or figuring out where the deer are and going to them. Sitting all day when no deer are around is ok... Sometimes.

Usually get my shots around 11am to 1pm. deer know , oh ya they know

• Like 1

you didnt sit long enough it sounds like

^^^^^ This! ^^^^^

Ask anyone whos a successful treestand hunter. Hours dont cut it, you have to sit for days. 3 days in one spot is not a long time, its a minimum for ambush hunting. Get in an hour before sun up to after sun down. Bring a book and put in your hours. My 2014 buck only took 2 days, I got lucky. 2013 took 4 days in the same dang tree. First deer I ever took was a spot and stalk kill, but I had 14 days invested. Theres no short cuts, some times you get lucky but most often its 10% skill and 90% stubborn foolhardy perserverance.

Remember deer are not in the same area all the time. They might be there every day for 3 days than gone for a week. Ive never seen a spot anywhere that has bucks every day. They dont exist. Its like the mythical city of el dorado or the female orgasm: no such thing, dont waste your time looking. Just find a spot that deer visit periodically and then wait it out, theyll be there sooner or later.

Dont get frustrated, stay positive and keep after it. You'll get there.

• Like 2

I don't know if I could wait all day in one spot!! To much ADD! I'll stick to spot and stalk, but one of these days I'll man up to you guys and try the all day tree stand!