Sign in to follow this  
hawkeye

3a tag and now a little regret.

I am very happy that I have an antelope tag but I wish I had done a little more research. I used to live around there about 26 years ago and I new the area very well. I got in a habit over the last couple of decades of putting in for 3a as my second or third choice. I didn't realize how much land was sold off and how much development has taken place. I've been doing some scouting, and can't believe the amount of checker board private land is in there now. I have located a few nice bucks but can't believe they put 25 tags in there. I think I know now why they put the hunt back into October. There isn't near as many antelope that there used to be, so instead of cutting the tags, I think they just thought they would put the hunt back till after the rut. I may be wrong but I can't think of any other reason. That way they can add 5 tags and make more money.

All that said I am very happy to be hunting antelope once in my life and I will give it heck. It was so hot yesterday my spotting scope was almost useless after about 10:00 am. We found several small bucks and a couple of nice ones. I still have another month to check things out.

If you are that disgruntled, give the tag to an organization that would love to have it. Call AZGFD and ask them where you can donate it.

• Like 1

I had that tag a couple of years ago. There is some checkered areas but still a TON of public ground. We found a 90 incher just driving around last time.

Checkerboarded private land doesnt mean squat unless its posted no trespassing

• Like 6

+1 , just go shot a big one, you choose the unit and game and fish wouldn't give out more tags then there are bucks. The heat waves will even so up in December. Now get out there and shot us a toad. Goodluck

• Like 1

Hey "lancetkenyon", what part of "happy about having a tag" didn't you understand. I will have a great hunt, no matter what. I just can't figure out why they put the hunt back to October. They did that with a couple of other units also and nobody I talked with, can give me the answer. No matter the outcome the hunt will be great, especially the fact that it will be cooler in October.

• Like 1

I'm sure Lance's comment has to do with the fact that he can't draw a tag with 22? Points, all the while people gripe about drawing tags. I would gladly trade my 18bp for that tag, and i wouldn't have regrets.

• Like 5

I understand what Hawkeye is saying. Most you guys are taking this too literal. He is excited about the tag, just private land is messing with antelope hunting terrain. I ran into it last year on my 19a tag. Year before, I killed my goat in an area open to hunting. Last year, that same area was posted and now no longer able to be hunted. I am sure you will find a giant, and make the most of your antelope tag. Good luck.

• Like 2

Learn to read idiot. Where does it say I regret having the tag. I regret not doing more research. What a screwed up bunch of haters. Nobody asked for any sympathy. What post have you been reading? Good luck with this screwed up site.

Same bunch of haters.

I reccomend that (Wyoming) for everyone that is waiting for an AZ. tag. Maybee 2-3 times if You get hooked. Once was enough for Me. Thats what to do waiting for premium tags in AZ. I waited 19 years for Elk ,but had 3 tags in New Mexico in the meantime.Iv'e had 1 AZ.lope tag in 25 years ,1 in Wyoming . Up to 9 points on deer but hunt New Mexico or Montana every year. And I'm not rich. just took Me years to teach the wife priorities. In fact Il'l be broke after my AZ Elk hunt but if You wanna hunt You find a way to do it. My wife understands it took Me 19 years to get it so I am spending 5-6 k to come from N. Dakota.. and missing My DADS 95th Birthday in PA. I will go there in another 2 months. Gambling He's still around, but He's in pretty good health. I hope I don't regret it. I am 59, don't know how many years I got to hunt as Iv'e had several health problems too. Do watch Ya gotta do.Thanks for listening................BOB!

• Like 5

Trphyhunter, I am too, Thats why I wrote that last post.......LOL. Having fun...............BOB!

• Like 1