eltigre_01

Unit 22N

First time drawing a bull tag here in AZ. I've hunted elk in Idaho and last year for mulies (to no avail). I've been camping in this area a lot over the past five years, and I'm pretty familiar with the areas east of the 87. Well, I'm gearing up for the hunt. I have a lot of questions, but I can probably narrow the field here:

1. Game cameras--I see a lot of brush area north of the Control Rd and I don't see cameras being useful. Should I bother?

2. Shooting sticks--useful for this terrain?

3. I have an old military ruck sack with a metal pack frame. Would this be good for packing meat out?

Well, that's all! I'm going scouting in two weeks, but I don't want to bring the kitchen sink if I don't have to.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Welcome to the site! FYI, asking for info on your first post is usually not a great idea on most sites.

1. Game cameras are a great idea, but unit 22 has probably the highest camera theft rate in the state.

2. Shooting sticks are always a great idea, just make sure you practice with them before you use them.

3. A metal frame pack will work fine. I highly recommend looking at youtube video's for learning the gutless method if you don't already know it.

Have fun on your hunt!

Adam

• Like 3

Somebody that knows 22 give this Guy a break. Nothin but raghorns anyway. Aren't we here to help or learn from other hunters. After all it's just a website and just hunting .not a matter of life or death....................BOB!

• Like 6

Pretty normal if you are used to Idaho. Get up on a hill or ridge and glass. Cameras are fun and can be useful but be careful where you put them. Shooting sticks always help and packs are a good thing. +1 on you tubing the boneless method.

• Like 1

I had this hunt two years ago. Don't get excited for monster elk, I scouted like crazy and only find smaller Bulls. Weather will dictate where the elk will be. Just like any animal you hunt here, get up high and glass be prepared for long range shooting as the manzanita is really thick. I shot mine at 918 yards and my dad got his at 706 yards.

• Like 1

I shot a spike there last year on opening morning the second rifle hunt. Only had 3 days to hunt but I'm glad I took him cause it took 2 days to get him out of those deep, steep, scrub oak filled canyons!

Can't thank you guys enough for the help. The terrain features are different than Idaho, but being up there, the elevation and grade of the hills are going to be similar. +1 on the gutless method; I wouldn't even imagine hauling out a bull elk in that terrain. I'm going to have to start rifle training at the 1000 yrd mark. I do have a .308 so I know it's possible...but dang. Thanks guys!

That can be a tough hunt due to he number of hunts and hunters that G&F push through that unit. I hunted the late rifle bull hunt 4 years ago and saw some decent mature bulls when scouting but couldn't connect on them when it counted. Like others mentioned, there is a lot of country to be glassed. Good luck.

Find a bull scouting on thursday be sitting ready to shoot him at first light on friday morning. Don't hesitate you will most likely not be the only person looking at that bull. Pray for lots of snow up top. It will make 2 things happen there will not be 100 shooters lined up across the top of the rim and it will push down alot better bulls.

• Like 2

Find a bull scouting on thursday be sitting ready to shoot him at first light on friday morning. Don't hesitate you will most likely not be the only person looking at that bull

Last year in this unit my friend and I did just that; we were at 750 yards on opening morning and trying to figure out a way to shave some more distance and BOOM shots fired...never did ID the shooter's location but they had to be 1,000+ yards away and they did a great job of spooking the bull and blowing out the rest of the elk in the area (there was a spike and several cows too). We killed that same bull we scouted/found on opening morning several days later in the hunt...