MT_Sourdough

rut timing

No bugles yet from the herd that hangs out in the canyon above our cabin. I did see a ragged-horn bull with three cows Thursday near Nutrioso.

Bill Quimby

Supposed to get hot again this week end, not, hope its not one of the yrs the rut pushes into October

Only two bulls were bugling today but the cows were going crazy making the begging sounds which surprised me this early. Then I heard the first "glunking" of the season from the herd bull, which again, is unusually early for that issue. So your saying I have a chance!

Those cows You heard were guys with hoochie mama's.........LOL........................BOB!

I was in 11 this weekend, saw 5 different groups of cows all alone, heard a couple of bugles before light and then Monday morning saw a group of a dozen cows w/ a 350-360 6x7. It was a beautiful sight except I have the second hunt in this unit any who knows where he will be after 2 weeks of pressure! Good luck to all!!

the rut will take off when it takes off. always does. be happy with a tag and don't worry about small stuff, like if the rut is gonna happen. the sun is gonna come up tomorrow and the elk will get stupid soon. Lark.

• Like 2

I don't know Lark but He generally makes a lot of sense. we hunters worry to much about this and that. A lot of things we can not control. I am worried about my unit 10 tag and shouldn't be ,I got some great help, plus I am a vry good hunter to begin with.. In 96 on the early hunt I passed so many bulls it wasn't funny. I should know better. Lets go make it fun and enjoy the moment. (or week).............Good luck all....................BOB!

On one hand......I want a monster opening morning at 20 yards.......on the other......I hope to spend as many days as possible out there....I have time to take off work and won't miss it one bit if it takes me every day.

And.....if I don't kill......I still got to be away from work and out in the woods dodging rain storms, fallin asleep on a ridge when I was supposed to be payin attention.......wondering why that dang alarm clock went off at 3:30.........

Rut or no rut I am going to be giving it hail!!!

• Like 2

It wasn't Hoochie Momma's Bob. Actually one of the quacking cows smelled me at 40 yards. Guess I'll have to take a shower before Saturday nite!

• Like 1

Heck, I don't know who is worrying. It ain't me. I'm just lurnin and having fun. Had an elk sounding like he was trying to pick a fight with my truck today. I was on the rim up above, but I wasn't too far away and it was obvious that he had to be within 20 yards of my truck.

I found another arrowhead and an old pony shoe. I walked in on a herd of javelina and I saw lots of deer. Good times. No worries.