Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Using a heater in tent...

I always see posts or hear of people using small Mr.Heater propane buddy heaters in their tents. I've always wanted to use one in my tent but have always heard of the carbon monoxide building up in the tent. With my wife and kids in the tent with me I never wanted to risk it. I do want them to sleep in comfort though.

So is this safe to do? How many of you use buddy heaters in your tents? I have a kodiak canvas tent and wanted to know if canvas is safer than nylon, or does that not matter?

Any info is appreciated!

Those heaters have a CO2 sensor, but I just use it to warm up before I sleep. Cant ever sleep good with a heater going, just old school I guess. The battery operated CO2 sensors are cheap get one to hang in there.

• Like 3

Heater Buddy's have an Oxygen Depletion Sensor , and Auto Off, if Knocked over.. work great in the kodiak . As stated if you want added piece of mind get a small battery powered low co2 alarm ... We use them to warm up before getting in the sacks and then turning on about an hour before wake up to warm tent in morning ...On a few occasions in real cold and hooked to a 5 gallon we have run them all night, never an issue. I only wish they would add an electric ignite with a timer So I do not have to wake an hour before others to ignite it... One can only Dream

• Like 2

I use two of them in my weekend warrior trailer and run them all night no problems at all. I have the little buddy and big buddy and they are great. If i use the heater in the trailer when it is real cold out i will use 20 pound propane cylinder or 5 gallon cylinder in a day with the buddy heaters i use 20 pounds in a week.

I just turn them on when i,m in the trailer and it will knock off the cold in minutes. They are really great.

• Like 1

Heater Buddy's have an Oxygen Depletion Sensor , and Auto Off, if Knocked over.. work great in the kodiak . As stated if you want added piece of mind get a small battery powered low co2 alarm ... We use them to warm up before getting in the sacks and then turning on about an hour before wake up to warm tent in morning ...On a few occasions in real cold and hooked to a 5 gallon we have run them all night, never an issue. I only wish they would add an electric ignite with a timer So I do not have to wake an hour before others to ignite it... One can only Dream

As for using it in the kodiak, do you keep the vent on top of the tent open or a window slightly open??

As for using it in the kodiak, do you keep the vent on top of the tent open or a window slightly open??

YES!!!

• Like 2

Always keep the windows slightly vented at the top ... Like a little fresh air mixing through the night and once in my bag I am comfortable down below freezing anyway ... Dec. 3c with the bigger heater buddy, in the 12x9 kodiak cabin tent, it would take about 30-40 mins to get the temp nice and warm in the whole tent for crawling out of the bags

• Like 1

Same as everyone else said. Keep the vents open and run it before bed and fire it back up before it's time to get up (it's always nice to have someone along who has a smaller bladder than you) . Haven't used the battery powered O2 sensor but that is a great idea. I will have to pick one up.

• Like 1

+1 to the "Mr. Heater Buddy"

It runs on too smaller (standard) propane tanks so its obviously does not last as long as a large 5 gallon but I use it in tents all the time. I still vent but very safe and automatically shuts off if tipped or if there is a lack of oxygen. Use it with my family in the tent any time we all go. Great purchase at $99

Good luck.

• Like 1

Use mine to heat the tent awhile i am getting ready for bed. Shut it off when I am in my bag. Turn it on when I wake up to knock the chill off.

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

I've used them in my hard sided camper. Always cracked a window and never had an issue. Be aware that some don't work at high elevations (9,000 ft and above).

I use them to warm up the tent a little so I can get dressed in the morning. Never run them while I sleep though and always with some ventilation.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the input! Looks like I will be picking one up! I think I am going to go with the model that uses 1 bottle, I sweat more easily than I do get cold. So I think that model should work for us, as the wife and kids are usually more bundled up in sleeping bags and covers.

I had the same question a couple of years ago and did a lot of research. What I came up with is that most traditional tents are made of material that are porous enough to allow the tent to vent without issue, but a small vent in the window or door isn't a bad idea. I have friends who run theirs all night on low for some of the really cold hunts without a problem. They just buy the extender hose and hook it up to a big 5 gallon bottle that sits outside the tent.

• Like 1