Sign in to follow this  
jp0212

Hunting within city limits?

So I am a little curious about the changes that occurred a couple years back. I know ARS 13-3107 (Shannon's Law) was revised recently to allow for the discharge of a firearm within city limits if you are hunting with valid permits (license, tag, stamps, etc). As I understand it you can only do so with a shotgun or bow. Per the Game and Fish regulations I would be outside of the restricted zone, and permitted to hunt despite being within City limits. As I understand it the state law also aligns with that provided you aren't within a 1/4 mile of any building or structure. Has anyone had any experience with this? Ever had a run in with Police, Sheriff's or Game and Fish? I did some exploring today and found a couple awesome spots really close to work, but don't really know if they are good to go or not. I tried checking the City of Maricopa laws

State Law

13-3107. Unlawful discharge of firearms; exceptions; classification; definitions

A. A person who with criminal negligence discharges a firearm within or into the limits of any municipality is guilty of a class 6 felony.

B. Notwithstanding the fact that the offense involves the discharge of a deadly weapon, unless a dangerous offense is alleged and proven pursuant to section 13-704, subsection L, section 13-604 applies to this offense.

C. This section does not apply if the firearm is discharged:

1. As allowed pursuant to chapter 4 of this title.

2. On a properly supervised range.

3. To lawfully take wildlife during an open season established by the Arizona game and fish commission and subject to the limitations prescribed by title 17 and Arizona game and fish commission rules and orders. This paragraph does not prevent a city, town or county from adopting an ordinance or rule restricting the discharge of a firearm within one-fourth mile of an occupied structure without the consent of the owner or occupant of the structure. For the purposes of this paragraph:

(a) "Occupied structure" means any building in which, at the time of the firearm's discharge, a reasonable person from the location where a firearm is discharged would expect a person to be present.

"Take" has the same meaning prescribed in section 17-101.

City Law

Section 10-1-18 Weapons

A. Carrying and Discharge of Weapons Restricted

1. Except as permitted in paragraph B of this section, it is unlawful for any person within the limits of the city to fire or discharge any firearm, B-B gun, air gun, pellet gun, dart gun, slingshot, gas-operated gun or other similar gun or instrument.

B. Exceptions

1. Paragraph A(1) of this section shall not apply in the following circumstances:

© By special permit of the city or chief of police of the city for the use of such gun or instrument for a valid and proper purpose, and for use in a manner not likely to harm any person, animal or property;

(d) For hunting or animal control purposes on property designated as Special Rural by the city council as specially designated for exemption from this subsection or other sections of this Chapter 10; provided that all such activity complies in all respects with all other rules, regulations, or requirements set forth by this code, Arizona State Statute, Federal Law, Agencies of the Federal Government, the Arizona Department of Game and Fish or other entity having authority or control.

I did some exploring today and found a couple awesome spots really close to work,

Your talking dove hunting with a shotgun right?

I did some exploring today and found a couple awesome spots really close to work,

Your talking dove hunting with a shotgun right?

Yup that's the intention. I didn't do any hunting today, just drove to a couple spots and saw a ton of birds. I would like to hunt them with a shotgun, but I'm not sure if they are good to go or not.

Bring literature from the state explaining the exception local police departments do not know and will come. last year I had to show arriving officers the rules on my phone. Expect to see down the barrel of an ar15

Id say if ur outside the restricted zone and 1/4 mi from occupied building go for it. That was the point of the change. If anyone gives u crap just tell them "el Diablo" said it was ok.

• Like 3

I have been hunting in city limits every since the law changed with zero issues. The first couple years I carried the rules & regs with me to show to arriving officers, but after many, many hunts I've never been stopped by any law enforcement. Most officers are understanding as long as you approach the situation correctly and explain the new law to them.

Go have fun!

My boys and I have been doing it for a couple years now. Only shotguns shooting shot and rimfire.

• Like 1

I have been hunting in city limits every since the law changed with zero issues. The first couple years I carried the rules & regs with me to show to arriving officers, but after many, many hunts I've never been stopped by any law enforcement. Most officers are understanding as long as you approach the situation correctly and explain the new law to them.

Go have fun!

Maybe but the surprise pd starts the conversation with an ar15 pointed at me and my 6year old daughter

The disappointing part was they had no idea about the law. Even the tho 2 of the 6 officers claimed to be hunter

• Like 3

Within Unit 25M as described in R12-4-108, all incorporated lands, including private property within municipal boundaries, are closed to hunting unless opened under Commission Order. Incorporated includes all municipal and corporate limits. County islands are open to hunting provided the hunter does not discharge a firearm within 1/4 mile of an occupied farmhouse, residence, cabin, lodge, or building without permission of the owner or resident. Privately held lands within county islands may be closed by the landowner.

There are several rules that encompass multiple units. Read them before heading out.

Within Unit 25M as described in R12-4-108, all incorporated lands, including private property within municipal boundaries, are closed to hunting unless opened under Commission Order. Incorporated includes all municipal and corporate limits. County islands are open to hunting provided the hunter does not discharge a firearm within 1/4 mile of an occupied farmhouse, residence, cabin, lodge, or building without permission of the owner or resident. Privately held lands within county islands may be closed by the landowner.

There are several rules that encompass multiple units. Read them before heading out.

I have done a ton of research and spoke with quite a few people. The area in question actually falls under Unit 26M. I spoke with a clerk at the Mesa office who said I can NOT hunt within city limits. Then I spoke with a customer service person at the Main office and was told I can NOT hunt within city limits unless I am on a county island. I then explained to her that doesn't make sense, as I am NOT within city limits if I am in a county island. She said good point and transferred me to a game warden. He was super friendly and went over the whole thing with me and said YES, I can hunt within city limits. That being said, I called an attorney who specializes in hunting law and she was wiling to spend some time on the phone. I explained that my concern was that ARS 13-3107 seems to say I can hunt in areas that G&F says are ok, but it also is worded to say that a City can revoke that based on the part that discusses the 1/4 mile rule. She agreed with me saying that is correct, they can say in the City ordinance that you have to be further than 1/4 mile making so that you can't hunt. Looking at the City code, it seems to say that I CAN hunt, but only on land that is zoned "Special Rural". I tried looking at a zoning map and don't see anything designated that way, so I put a call into the zoning commission to see if they can elaborate.

Well that still doesnt help me but maybe my own question will. I am outside the 202 loop in queen creek lots of farmers fields still in city limits with lots of dove and houses over courter mile away. There are no private property signs. Can i hunt there? They are random fields that everyone drives by and if u are a dove hunter you say man would like to hunt there. I am just scared about police and property owner because someone has to own the field but according to rules i think i should be able to hunt. What makes me scared is everyone in queen creek only piles into like two spots and no where else. Makes me wonder if they are scared like me so they go werr other poeple are or that is the only place you can hunt?