Sign in to follow this  
218buck

sitka versus kuiu

Just wondering what guys are using and why thanks

I just don't see the the cost/benefit in either product. Im interested to hear what others say though. Is this stuff really that much better than the average hunting apparel?

• Like 2

I've eased in to buying different gear as my hunting style (and time of year) changes depending on where I live. I've slowly acquired Kuiu kit during sales events and been absolutely pleased with every piece. Customer service has been top notch (exchanges for sizing and questions on gear). I know have two of their jackets, a set of gloves, attack pants, merino baselayer and bino harness.

On the lightweight side I do have some kryptek gear that I picked up in a Cabelas bargain cave a while back. The Helios and Valhalla lightweight sets are very comfortable in 80-90 degree heat but they do wear quickly if you hunt often and hard.

I've found that by scouring the sales and websites you can get great backpacking clothing that doubles for hunting at a cheaper price than the premium sitka and kuiu. I just like going through a single source that is a 'known quantity'.

i wear kuiu and it is worth every bit of the money. I didnt and wouldnt buy into sitka because of the price both are good though. the only way you ll really know is if you try for yourself. but positives in kuiu is 1. light weight 2. dry quick 3. most of all you look good this is a fashion show anymore isnt it?

I have often thought the same thing I like a cargo pant with lots of pockets. I use basspro real tree camo and like it. As with all premium stuff it seems to perform better just like high end binos but you have to want that feature and pay for it.

Lots of old guys used flannel and were successful.

I have a ton of Sitka gear and absolutely love it. The layering system is pretty awesome and I feel like I'm wearing pajamas whenever I put the stuff on. They also have great customer service in that they have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me helping me decide what pieces would work best. I also have a Kelvin vest that tore and they fixed it for free under the warranty. My 90% pant also got a tear from some barbed wire which they repaired for $30. They also threw in a free Sitka hat into that deal. That all being said, you can't go wrong with both Sitka or Kuiu. Both are worth every penny in my opinion. I can give you a breakdown of the Sitka pieces I have if that will help.

i have never bought into the "expensive camo fad", or even really worn much camo, until recently. i purchased a fair amount of Kuiu Teton camo because it is priced pretty fair. i have to admit, the stuff is awesome. it keeps me warm when it's chilly out and cool when it's hot. Does not get all stretched out like cotton after wearing it for a day either. the pants are built extremely well and are very comfortable and flexible. i figure wearing the same set for 3 days is a better option than packing a fresh set of clothes every day. one good set will replace most of my other hunting clothing.

• Like 2

How long do either of these two camos last from a year of hard hunting? A couple seasons?

Probably more if not forever.. Kuiu and Sitka are really well made its that whole " You get what you pay for " type thing with their hunting apparel. I still take a long my cheap army surplus store camo on hunting trips.

How long do either of these two camos last from a year of hard hunting? A couple seasons?

My stuff has held up extremely well. I've had it all for an average of about 7 years with no real issues. The perk is that all comes with a warranty. Usual wear and tear isn't covered but they are very reasonably priced if you ever need it repaired.

I own both, and like both. I would buy whichever fits you the best. Kuiu tends to run smaller than Sitka. Sitka fits me a little better than Kuiu.

How does the fit of pants in Sitka/kuiu, as well as firstlite while we are on the subject compare to cheaper pants? I can't stand how baggy and saggy my cheap camo pants are. I would like something that fits more like jeans, and less like parachute pants.

Is it not true that sitka was made by kuiu founder then he sold out to corporate the sitka line and stared kuiu? Anyway I own zero of either. In az I think you can do without. If going to ak or late season in northern states it is good gear for sure.