Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Question about Bird Dogs

My wife is a huge dog lover and has been on me about getting another dog for years (we have a small house dog). She wants a lab and after hunting with a lab this morning I'm starting to give the idea a bit more thought. We have had small dogs and dobermans, but never a hunting breed. I'm curious to know if a male or female lab tends to make a better bird dog or does it make much difference. Any thoughts or opinions?

I've always found a male to be easier to train and be a bit more affectionate with families at home. A female is usually a bit more stubborn and independent. I'm in the market for a lab pup now.best advice I can give is your time and training with the dog pays more dividends then anything else. But a good lineage helps stack the odds in your favor.

• Like 2

Definitely the females are more headstrong and independent. But, they are also cleaner animals around the house IMHO. Once the are trained, they are great. I am on my second female and would not trade her for anything. The key to training seems to be easier training concepts (building blocks, if you will) so she knows what you are trying to train her (and you can bust through her attempts to train you!). Once she gets it, she gets it forever. When I was still living at home, as a much younger man, my father preferred males. They all seemed a little aloof with training. They are all good hunters in the end. We always trained for upland game, not water sports (I know, I know).

As for affection, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I type this while watching my 9 y.o. using our 9 m.o. puppy as a pillow, and she's soaking it in.

• Like 1

Save a life and go adopt something from the pound. I have two Pit Bulls that I saved just before they got euthanized and they are the best dogs I've ever had. The next pit I adopt will become a bird dog as well. I'd like to teach one of the two I have now but they are both almost 10 years old, probably a little late to start.

It's all about the pedigree of the dog. Are the dogs parents hunters and were Their parents hunters, etc. you can find labs that are only show dogs and may not hunt so well. Yea they are trainable but the ceiling will only be so high. If getting a pure breed lab make sure the parents don't have any Health issues and and have OFA tests done. Labs tend to have hip dysphasia. I prefer females but my current Brittany is a male and is great with the family and a little stubborn in the field but sure loves his birds.

Good luck getting that pit bull to be a bird dog. With pits you never know what you are gonna get especially from the pound. I like pits, used to breed them but you don't know what their temperament is gonna be if you don't know their bloodlines.

I met couple guys recently that run a Brittany Rescue out of house. They said some are trained some have instinct and some already too late to hunt.. But I do have a phn number if that interests anyone.

I met couple guys recently that run a Brittany Rescue out of house. They said some are trained some have instinct and some already too late to hunt.. But I do have a phn number if that interests anyone.

Thanks, but I think my wife now has her heart set on a yellow lab.

• Like 1

That's how my wife was about chocolate labs. Our last dog was a chocolate lab and after she past away that's all my wife wanted. Then I introduced her to Brittanys. Now she said she will probably never go back to a lab. Brits are smaller, don't shed as much, have less health concerns, are just as smart if not smarter than labs and have lots of energy like labs and aren't as clumsy.

• Like 3

That's how my wife was about chocolate labs. Our last dog was a chocolate lab and after she past away that's all my wife wanted. Then I introduced her to Brittanys. Now she said she will probably never go back to a lab. Brits are smaller, don't shed as much, have less health concerns, are just as smart if not smarter than labs and have lots of energy like labs and aren't as clumsy.

Really? Shedding is on our list of concerns. I'll have to share this info with her. What else can you tell me about Brittanys? How high energy? High energy is good, but not hyper. We've had friends and family with weimaraners and short hair pointers, and they were a bit more high energy/hyper than what we are looking for.

Labs are shedding machines and Britts will start shaking nervously if you keep eye contact for more than a few seconds. They shed quite a bit too.

My best dog was a brit. Smartest and most loyal, with birds on her mind 24/7. Got her when I was 13 years old. She was also the best indoor dog that I've had to date.

• Like 1

Labs are shedding machines and Britts will start shaking nervously if you keep eye contact for more than a few seconds. They shed quite a bit too.

^^^This ^^^ our lab sheds like crazy brushing will help some, but they will still shed.

GSPs are crazy hyper energy dogs. Just saying.

True story. I have one and would't give him up for anything, but he is a loaded spring 24/7. Make sure you are ok with that if you ever decide to get one.

• Like 1

My wife goes crazy with ours. They (4 of them) sleep on our bedroom floor. I get up at 3:00-3:30 every morning, and as soon as I toss the sheets back, they are ready to go.

• Like 1