Sign in to follow this  
Whitesheep

Best .224 Bullet for Javalina

The .223 class cartridge is ideal for Javalina hunting in my opinion. For those of you who use a .224 bullet, what type and weight of bullet do you use and why?

The 64 grain nosler bonded works great on Javelinas and coyotes. Drops them in their tracks

Hey Huntharder, were you using a .224 bullet? I didn't know Nosler made a BT in this caliber. I really like BT's, but the smallest bullet Nosler lists on their site is a 7mm. In fact Nosler doesn't list anything under 6mm.

Good to here the 60-65 grain bullets are working well. This is my thinking as well. While I have had good accuracy with 70 and 77 grain bullets they sure are l o n g and use up a lot of case capacity.

Thanks for the information.

OK, I wasn't looking deeply enough into Nosler's product line. The 60 grain NBT is on my list to try.

Edited by Whitesheep

I have a load for my .223 Rem with the 50gr. NBT too (and V-Max), but they are varmint bullets. 3300 fps from an AR puts a whooping on coyotes. It is ugly on anything smaller. I think it would do similar damage to a javelina as it does to coyotes.

Lance, surprisingly it works pretty well as far as not making a mess. My wife put three into a pig as far as she could with my AR. None exited and the pig didn't go anywhere. I like exits though so I've not used it since.

I have no clue but man just thinking about javelina hunting come January and seeing the pics gets me excited! And it's to early for me to get this excited when it's so far away ;)

I use the Fiocchi match ammo that is loaded with Sierra 77 grain hollow point boat tail in my Rock River Arms AR and I have several one shot stops with this load.

Super accurate round in my AR. Don't need to shoot anything other bullet in it.

• Like 1