Sign in to follow this  
Sapper

Kenton turrets

Well I got my Kenton industries turrets for my Leupold mark 4 that is mounted to my 7mm. All I can say is wow. Every yardage out to 1000 yards was spot on. The turret goes to 1100 and still has a full rotation.

I have another for my 308 hope it is just as good.

I have one as well. I love it. Lots of "long range" guys knock them because they like to compute every shot exactly. For hunting, I feel they are plenty accurate enough, maybe not spot on because of changes in Bar P, or exact elevation, but mine has proven deadly.

Sapper - have you shot it at different elevations and temperature etc....? Curious on how they are holding up.

I've shot 5000 ft and below. They offer a program on there website that adjusts your yardage if u have extreme elevation change. Shot the one on my 7mm with a mk 4 let and was hitting targets at 1020 yards.

When I set mine up I used 4K elevation and 70 degrees as my base.

I've shot 5000 ft and below. They offer a program on there website that adjusts your yardage if u have extreme elevation change. Shot the one on my 7mm with a mk 4 let and was hitting targets at 1020 yards.

So you are saying if conditions change, you need to recalculate......interesting.

I think if you get them set up for a specific elevation and temperature you will be hunting in most of the time, they could be fantastic.

Unfortunately, I hunt and shoot all over (from 1100' to 9500'), and almost year round (from sub 0° to 100°+), so they won't work for me.

• Like 2

whats something like that cost????

and what info do you need to give them.

speed, bullet type, etc.....

So you are saying if conditions change, you need to recalculate......interesting.

I think if you get them set up for a specific elevation and temperature you will be hunting in most of the time, they could be fantastic.

Unfortunately, I hunt and shoot all over (from 1100' to 9500'), and almost year round (from sub 0° to 100°+), so they won't work for me.

If you buy their turrets you can also use their online calculator to print out a chart that will compensate for altitude, temperature, etc. The problem with this is:

• It is an additional $10 fee for the online calculator. It should be free with your purchase.
  • It isn't available as an app or to download. This requires you to estimate the altitude, temperature, etc. before you ever step out of your door.
  • You have to print the chart and carry it with you.
  • By the time you have gone to all this trouble, it might have been much easier and cheaper to have a ballistic app on your phone and just use the standard click measures on your scope.

I've been tempted to get them a number of times, but ultimately decided that, like lancetkenyon, that they really wouldn't be making the process any simpler for me. But, like lancetkenyon said, if you stick to one altitude and temp range they might be really helpful.

• Like 1

I like them a lot. Regular turrets are not that much more complicated but when the moment arrives it is nice to worry about as little as possible. range, dial, shoot. All of my hunts from coues to elk to Wyoming antelope take place at or very close to 5500 elevation so the turret works great calibrated at 5500 ft. If hunting in many different elevations (or shooting extremely long ranges i.e. 1000+) a Kenton Turret is not the best choice as there are too many variables

• Like 2

I had one for my 300 WSM and it worked well

Got a new rifle and scope, scope has a mil turret and I now use a ballistic program on my phone.

1st bobo, glassing from a road spot a very nice buck, take off like a bat out of heck.... get about mile from the truck realized my phone is in the truck.... the whole thing went wrong after that.

2nd mistake.... okay now I print my ballistics and keep in my range finder case.... glassing again from the road. two mountains lions spotted, get about 300 yds from the truck... where is my phone... oh never-mind... I got the ballistics printed.... get within 500 yds of the lions, one is very large tom (much bigger than the one I have already killed), trying to get setup. give the chart to my son (who is looking through the binos)... can't get a shot because of angle / trees, etc... walk about 100 yds around the hill... lions have moved, but I spot them again, 550 yds (chip shot), rock solid rest. "Son give me the chart".... uhhhh i left on the ground back there.... still breaks my heart....

So yeah things can and will go wrong in the field... now I print the chart for specifically where I am hunting and tape to my rifle (like i used to do).....

Really thought about buying another turret from Keyton, but cant use the ballistic program, I like the customization for the variables with the program... key point to remember is to have your dang phone with you

I would have bought the G5 rangerfinder but it does work with a mil scope