rancilio

SoAZ Bucks - the somewhat big and somewhat different

I was watching an 8in spike and a few does midday today. I was wondering where all the fawns are. A few neighbors have seen a lion around over the past week, so... hopefully the newborns are still just hiding out. I was thinking how cool it was watching the critters and then in walks Mr. Normal for a few minutes, and then Mr. Strange shows up.

post-7261-0-93313800-1441688910_thumb.jpg

post-7261-0-82279100-1441688932_thumb.jpg

post-7261-0-39748000-1441688950_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great pics. Its always amazing to me to see how freaky some deer grow. Genetics are a funny thing. Thanks for sharing.

Is it just the angle, or does the non typical buck have a growth on his brisket?

• Like 3

Is it just the angle, or does the non typical buck have a growth on his brisket?

No, it's not just the angle, he has an extra roast (hopefully meat anyhow) in there. I'll see if any other photos show it any better. I hadn't seen him before and haven't seen him since.

• Like 1

I've seen whitetails here in KY who have broken beams in velvet that dangle like that. Not sure what to think about that growth in there!

don't know if it's a broken antler or not. when a male of the deer family gets a significant injury, anywhere on them, they usually grow a screwed up antler on the opposite side of the injury after that. been a lotta studies on it. i actually got to witness it once. knew where there was a big herd rutting in december. they'd be there every year. quite a few really big bucks. one day me and my oldest son were watching them and one really heavy horned 4x4 had been injured in the left shoulder over night. looked like a bullet wound. later that morning we saw a really giant of a buck about a half mile away and he had blood all over the upper fork of one antler. he had gored the other buck. the next year the same bucks were back and the injured one still had a bad limp and he had a typical 4 point on one side and the side opposite the injury was a twisted up mess of antler with many points. saw him several more seasons after that and he always had the nontypical antler after that. that may be what happened to his little feller. Lark.

• Like 2

don't know if it's a broken antler or not. when a male of the deer family gets a significant injury, anywhere on them, they usually grow a screwed up antler on the opposite side of the injury after that. been a lotta studies on it. i actually got to witness it once. knew where there was a big herd rutting in december. they'd be there every year. quite a few really big bucks. one day me and my oldest son were watching them and one really heavy horned 4x4 had been injured in the left shoulder over night. looked like a bullet wound. later that morning we saw a really giant of a buck about a half mile away and he had blood all over the upper fork of one antler. he had gored the other buck. the next year the same bucks were back and the injured one still had a bad limp and he had a typical 4 point on one side and the side opposite the injury was a twisted up mess of antler with many points. saw him several more seasons after that and he always had the nontypical antler after that. that may be what happened to his little feller. Lark.

My brother shot a buck back in the 70's had a similar wound on one side....deformed antler on the other......

I shot a mule deer back in the early 90's that had one of his back legs missing at the knee. It was completely smooth with no scar tissue. (Not sure he wasn't born that way). He had a normal three point on one side and a gnarled little twisted two point on the other.