Sign in to follow this  
2-134

Found Pistol

I understand the idea of people feeling they are doing the right thing finding the owner when presuming something is lost ... But why in anybody's right mind would you not call the police when you find a handgun off the side of the road... Sometimes best intentions are butt backwards and a gun along side the road could possibly be a gun used in a crime tossed out the window of a moving car.... I say let it be .. call the authorities and then share that it was found and let people know where they can find it...

• Like 1

If it is truly a lost gun, the owner would be able to give a serial # to the LEOs for the safe return, if it is truly just a lost firearm.

I would also be VERY leery of picking up a gun on the side of a road.

While working remodel construction, my helper found a pistol inside a wall we were tearing out. Called the MCSO, as the homeowner claimed it was not theirs. Turns out it was used in a crime 25 years earlier, and the prime suspect was the former homeowner who had passed away.

I saw this post earlier, the police are the first ones to call with the serial #. Your intentions are awesome. Thanks for your integrity.

This brings up a good point, every gun owner should catalog their guns. Have photos and numbers saved. I use a spreadsheet on a thumb drive in the safe.

• Like 6

This brings up a good point, every gun owner should catalog their guns. Have photos and numbers saved. I use a spreadsheet on a thumb drive in the safe.

I don't keep it in the safe. If they get in the safe and steal the guns then they steal the flash drive too. I keep mine in another place. Also keep a few copies in different spots they won't look (hopefully)
  • Like 2

Pics and numbers on the computer. Sent file to a good friend and I have his on file. Thumb drive is a very good idea!

• Like 1

I dont know the serial number of any of my guns. Hope u find the owner

How can you not have the serial numbers on file somewhere? What if you get robbed? How will you ever prove the firearms are yours?

Unless.......you are playing coy while Big Brother is watching the interweb....

Pics and numbers on the computer. Sent file to a good friend and I have his on file. Thumb drive is a very good idea!

Tatoo it on your neck

• Like 4

I don't keep it in the safe. If they get in the safe and steal the guns then they steal the flash drive too. I keep mine in another place. Also keep a few copies in different spots they won't look (hopefully)

Good point again. I have copy at work on our secure backed up network. Also in my safe I have a small safe with documents and such. All fire proof. Just PC of mind. Everything else I burry in the yard.