Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Jr Muley Doe Hunt - 12AW

Hey all,

The boys both drew a muley doe tag Jr hunt up on the Kaibab. Unit 12-

I hear the area is magical, but I've never been there. Any decent areas?

And- does it snow in early Oct?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I was up there in august last year for the archery hunt and then again for the doe hunt with my daughter in nov. Got skunked on both. Saw tons of deer in the early season and passed on a smaller buck, but didnt get an opportunity at a biggin. In november we were only able to hunt two days and we never even saw one. I think we were hunting up too high for that late in the year.

Id make sure you are up there at least the two weekends prior to your hunt to look for them. The deer on the bab are definitely migratory and at some point they bunch up into bigger herds and move down off the platue to the lower stuff. Areas where we had deer crawling all over us in august were completely empty in nov.

That was the on only time ive hunted it so far and we were pretty unprepared, even with having made two scouting trips ahead of time.

Scout as close to your season as possible and good luck to you!

It can snow in October, but it would be rare. With the jr hunt in October, you should be able to find deer all over, they will still be in the higher elevations. There is a a huge burn area off the highway on both sides that will hold loads of deer, it is starting to grow up some, but you can still glass and find deer. If the oaks are dropping acorns that early, find areas where the oak draws are and deer will be near by. You should have NO trouble finding does in October, I will be up there chasing turkey and grouse the weekend before, I'll get back to you with what I see then.

• Like 2

I will be up there as well. I've been during August and early September during the archery season but never during October. Deer are everywhere up on top during the archery hunt. Not sure about the doe hunt. I would imagine that the deer might start coming off the top by then but probably not anywhere near the winter habitat. I believe the ADA or Mule Deer Foundation, not sure which, is running a Youth Game Camp that weekend. If you can get in touch with those folks they might be able to steer you in the right direction. Game and Fish probably has some info on their site about the Camp.

Wanted to add a couple of things of note after reading all the posts here. It can snow in October but probably not going to be covered in snow yet but be prepared for the worst which can mean snow and freezing conditions. Also, pretty sure the hunt is only open on the West side this year, so keep that in mind. The warm fire burn near the highway is probably a good place to start if there is not too much cold weather or snow before the hunt.

Good Luck!

Nick

• Like 2

Drive down 67, pick ANY dirt road to the west early morning or evening, and most times throughout the day too. That is where the does will be.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Looking forward to an awesome scouting trip this weekend! I'll see if I can get some pics.

Not much to add that Lance, Heat, and NOTAGS haven't said. Was up there in Oct for my daughter's first hunt and it was awesome! Literally: look, deer! Look, deer! Look, deer! Guess what: DEER! It could snow, but I'd be surprised if it does or if it sticks or amounts to much.

• Like 1

Had the October general deer last year...snow is possible, but probably wouldn't push them down unless a lot. The other guys are spot on...we saw lots of does everywhere off the forest roads and in the burn.

Enjoy...it's a beautiful place and can't wait to go back.

I have been up there in October when it has snowed on the early hunt (late Oct.-early Nov.). I have been up there in Sept. when it snowed too.

Last year (early rifle hunt in late Oct.) was very cold & windy opening weekend, but no snow. Then it warmed up to short sleeve T-shirt weather.

Actually, a .243 is something I don't have. But the boys are proficient with .06 :rolleyes:

• Like 1