Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

Just a reminder - watch out for spiders!

As the weather starts to cool off we all head back outside make sure you check around your patio furniture and up under the arm rests, between the cushions, handles on the ole bbq, etc, etc.

My stuff got a little dusty with the storms and what not over the last couple weeks so I was cleaning it off this evening. After I finished one of the chairs I grabbed my two year old baby girl off the love seat and lifted off the cushions to clean them and right there between the cushions was a big fat black widow, probably a good 1/2" around. Had herself a nice little nest in there. There's not enough of her left now to mount, but she was trophy caliber.

I've sprayed around the house several times this year already, but they don't seem to stay away long.

Anyhow, it was close enough to my kid to rattle me a little, so thought I'd throw a reminder out to everyone. Check out your furniture and make sure you don't have any wiggly things hanging around before you let the kids out there to start playing again.

• Like 4

I'll trade you black widows for scorpions. I have killed well over 50 bark scorpions in the last couple months at my place. Killed 2 more last night in the kitchen. Sucks!

Black Widows and Scorpions. Gotta love Arizona. Luckily since moving into my new house 3 years ago we haven't had a single scorpion or black widow. We've been very lucky. Use to have both at our old place, and that was not fun. I've had good luck with suspend SC and lately I've been using Cyanara and it works great. Very good for killing scorpions so I've heard.

Black Widows and Scorpions. Gotta love Arizona. Luckily since moving into my new house 3 years ago we haven't had a single scorpion or black widow. We've been very lucky. Use to have both at our old place, and that was not fun. I've had good luck with suspend SC and lately I've been using Cyanara and it works great. Very good for killing scorpions so I've heard.

My hous is new also, we just moved in a year ago. There was black widows on it before we even had the keys! I think its left over critters from all the farm fields the turned into housing developments on the west side of town. Havent seen any scorpions yet, but los ded with crickets and spiders.

Im tired of spraying all the time, I think im gonna call the pest guy and just tell him to use the strongest crap he has that wont kill a dog. Or at least wont kill a big dog. I dont have a small one and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the neighbors midnight yapper suffered an unfortunate accident.

To help locate black widows, look for their telltale messy web. They have a very disorganized, large, stringy web, unlike any other spider I know of. If you see that web, then you can come out at night and look and usually the black widow will be on the web for easy removal. During the day they can hide in little spaces and not be visible. We had one living in our outdoor rocker and I could never find it in the cushions. Turns out it was in the hollow metal post that was part of the rocker. Waiting until dark to find it was the key for us.

• Like 1

The black light at night can be scary!

I have ben fortunate and did not have scorpions at my last house even though the neighbor 2 houses down said he had them everywhere. We had an eco pest service that came regularly and apparently did a good job especially considering we have 2 tortoise that are still alive and healthy. I think you have to stay on top of these little boogers or they will be hard to get rid of. I hope we are as luck in our new place as we have been in the past.

When I was using Pest Control company the first year in our new house he said after the first year if you don't see any scorpions or black widows, then you more than likely won't. It can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood and street to street. If you're on the wrong lot… Nothing you can do but try to control them.

When I was using Pest Control company the first year in our new house he said after the first year if you don't see any scorpions or black widows, then you more than likely won't. It can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood and street to street. If you're on the wrong lot… Nothing you can do but try to control them.

Thats what I was told about scorpions. Theyre under ground and there's no getting rid of them, at least not permanently.

I rented a house that was infested with scorpions. I was terrible. My new house is all good except for 3 black widows I've found.

I'm on a private street with an HOA controlled front for landscape / pest control. We have never had a scorpion or black widow in 8 years. The end house near the water basin has a ton of scorpions... 1 block away. Keeping the food at bay (crickets) keeps the predators away. It helps to not live near the open wild area.

Killed a big widow not far from my front door this weekend. Never been stung by one, but I have been nailed by a brown recluse. Those little suckers have flesh eating venom. Took a trip to the doctor, and prescribed a special medicated ointment for the wound to heal.

I caught a giant desert hairy the other night in my back yard. I've had a couple of whip scorpions too.