PatrickJr

New Topo Map app

I wanted to let you guys know about this awesome app that is new to me. It is called "Topo Maps". It costs $8. You install the app, and when connected to WIFI (not cellular Internet) you download all the maps( make sure to get the hi-res) you need for the entire U.S. You can plot points one water tanks, glassing spots, whatever you want. I feel that if you are at the spot you want to mark, you get a more exact location rather than finding it and guessing. Once a map in downloaded, it is saved and so when you need it, it loads immediately.

The best part is that when you have no service at all, it tracks you and can tell you exactly where you are as long as you agree to let it you your location. This is great to use when it gets dark and you marked your vehicle, you can see how close you are and where you must go.

I was hunting this weekend with some hard core guys and they use this, one mentioned how this app replaces his $300 GPS.

If you do get the app and plot points on places you keep secret, make sure to have a passcode on your phone so that if someone steals your phone, they won't know where you big bucks are!!!

And it should save you some money, since you pay $8 for all topos when a single paper Topo is $8.

Someday the creator will add forest service road numbers to the maps.

Hope this helps, play around with it and let me know what you guys think, this might just be the greatest this since sliced bread!

• Like 1

I used to use that app when it was free. Then I got Gaia GPS and I love it.

Thanks for the info on the new app. There are several that do the same things with downloading maps and allowing you to make waypoints and use it offline. I use Backcountry Navigator and love it. You can add in photos of the place you are at and store it with the waypoint that you create. This app has worked great for me when I forgot my GPS, as long as you have downloaded the maps ahead of time so it will work in an area with no service.

I like the Trimble Outdoor app. Includes road numbers and different layers to choose from and it's free. Also has moon phase, blood tracker and a few other handy items.

• Like 1

I guess I'm confused! How does it track you on a downloaded map with no service?? Then again I'm not much of a techiii

I guess I'm confused! How does it track you on a downloaded map with no service?? Then again I'm not much of a techiii

Your phone has GPS built in. GPS works regardless of cell service availability.

• Like 1

I just got hooked up with backcountry navigator app and its the same deal but it has tons of maps including FS, topo, and definetley replaces any need for GPS. One issue to think of though is battery life and weather proofing. Im going to get a power cell to recharge my phone when im backpacking. I used this app on my buddys elk hunt and by day 2 he was downloading it on his phone. 12.00 bucks. You can buy add ons but i didnt need anything. You can measure, track, plot points. Only thing needed to do is download a section of the main map at home before going out then its in our phone and you can go off grid. Very happy with it. You can also add pictures from your phone into way points.

• Like 1

I have topomaps, and its a great app- but it won't track where you've been. I hear Gaia does that pretty well.

The customer service for that app is outstanding, I will say. The guy who made it usually gets back to me within 24 hours.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet in the forums is that google maps (the app you download on your phone) will do a similar thing. You get the map area you want to use centered in the screen and in the search bar type 'ok maps'. It'll download the map for offline use, just like the app.

Giant screen with much higher resolution, camera, touch screen that actually works really well, ,already carrying your phone anyway, back-up batteries are silly cheap now and weigh very little, syncing to your computer is very easy.

I still use a garmin rino sometimes as well as a DeLorme InReach but I keep preaching the use of a mobile phone. There are a ton of apps and so many features that you can't put on a GPS only device. I pair mine with a Garmin Glo which is faster and seems to work better than my other GPS units. It also lasts 2-3 days even with heavy use without recharging and can be charged with a back-up call battery as well. Also the Glo allows me to go from phone to iPad and back with the same software instantly. The iPad is awesome for showing others and zooming in.

Backcountry, Topo, Gaia, and a few others are really good but I settled on the Trimble app and paid the $99. You get hunting units, trails roads, BLM, res, etc and you can plan all your hunts on your computer as well as share hunts with others. There is a little bit of a learning curve but it is very easy once you get going.

• Like 1

Are any of these applications with maps of Mexico available that anyone knows of? I would love to be able to download everything onto my phone and have one less piece of equipment to deal with.

I've been using Trimble outdoor navigator pro since 2012, same type of app. No need for a separate gps now just have to manage battery life on your phone. Really helps navigating in the dark too, walking or driving. Trimble also shows forest road numbers and has Doppler weather overlays.

AZBowhunter you can pull in Google Earth files for many of the apps. The process for loading them into an iPhone or Android are different so you will have to Google how to save and load .gpx files and then search the same for instructions in the app. I used MotionX successfully in Mexico on a coues hunt in the past. You may have to download/upload quite a few tiles to cover your area.