Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

best place to procure for custom build

where does everyone recommend i go to buy parts for a future custom build? i'm a lefty so in particular i want to make sure there is a good selection of LH actions.

Thanks

Miles

What parts?

And how "Custom" are you going?

www.bugholes.com

www.stockysstocks.com

www.kelbly.com

www.brownells.com

www.defiancemachine.com

www.gaprecision.net

I too am left handed. Good luck searching. Most places will not offer much for left handers if you're only looking for actions. Most of the time, you will need to buy the rifle and strip it down for a nice custom job. I'm always looking for used left handed guns every where I go and on the web as well. Years ago, I bought a used 700 CDL from someone on here for $500 and had a custom built. That is about the most I will spend on a used gun that I plan on using as a donor.

It can take a long time to find one to use as a donor. Like I said, I'm always looking out for deals on used rifles. lefty guns are hard to find because, the left handers don't usually get rid of them.

Shilen actions have left hand in stock.

Check out Bighorn actions also.

These are probably the go to actions for most do it yourself guys at your home without having to have a lathe and mill. Plus doing it yourself will save you big time money and learn a ton of info. If you need some info shoot me over a PM. I have built 4 rifles now and each one was awesome and very easy to do.

Why didn't he just say he wanted his wife to get him a new gun?

If you're really serious, call up western precision and have em build you one. Most impressive long shooters I've ever seen. Incredibly accurate. Spensive tho. Lark.

LRH classifieds have a left hand Savage long action with magnum bolt face for $275. Don't get much better than that for a good build on a budget. Youi can even buy chambered barrels for it for DIY.

Google "custom rifle actions" and you will get pages..

Bat, Defiance, Stiller, Bighorn, Nesika, Surgeon, Borden.... You will have to start with what action you want and what you are willing to spend. My favorite rifle is built on a stiller predator action and a brux barrel.

After you have the action it is pretty easy to find a left hand barrel, trigger, rings, bases, etc. :P

You may have to plan on waiting for a stock depending on what you are looking for. McMillan and HS usually have inventory as does Stocky's, the others plan on waiting.

LRH or Sniper hide are going to be the quickest resources for info and feedback as sugar bear pointed out, good place to look.

thanks for the info. I've spoken with the guys at phoenix custom and i was thinking about "procuring" (buying for you rednecks on the forum) the parts and have them put it together for me. i'm definitely interested in how you guys built your custom rigs....i'll start a new thread on that one!

I am buying all custom parts, everything is on back order for like 5 months. My action is on its way. 1 - 1.5k for action, 3-6 hundred on bottom metal/magazines, 800 - 1k for stock, 600 - 800 for barrel, 1 - 2k scope, 1k range finder, leaving you to drink Kirkland Whiskey instead of Crown Royal.