Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

NMex muzzy mulie hunt

Anyone have this muzzy mule deer hunt in GMU 23, New Mexico and want to partner-up? PM me.

Thanks, Tommy

I tried to PM you but I got a bounce. I have the archery coues tag so was in there first part of Sept. and hope to be back in Jan. or I would jump at the chance. PM me.

Good luck Tommy! Wish I could have made it over there again this year! Hopefully you can turn this buck up this year.

post-252-0-41802800-1442812061.jpg

Saw a couple of great mule deer bucks over the past week on an elk hunt. In some thick stuff but they were dandy.

How was the hunting and deer sightings? We've got the Mulie hunt starting this Saturday and leaving tomorrow. My first time hunting 23. A friend I'm going with has been telling me we won't have to scout other areas and not to worry because we'll have access to a private ranch.

Well to make a long story short I finally got the confirmation last night that we don't have access. He says he knows a couple places but very thick and we'll have to walk and jump them, I'll do what I have to but really hate hunting deer like quail. I prefer to glass them then plan the stalk.

Edit:

It looks like we'll start around Alma after all and try to make something happen. As long as we get in a decent area we'll figure it out and we can glass pretty decent so that helps.

We wound up hunting around the Roberts Park and smoothing iron area just outside of Alma with half of the tag holders it seemed. Super tough hunting for us as we were out of our element and a ton of hunters up there. There were convoys of vehicles rolling in like crazy, looked like a parade at times haha. Glassed up deer everyday but only a few bucks and nothing huge. Was told they got a lot of pressure from the muzzleloader hunters the hunt before and that this is the most pressured year they'd seen.

Seems most people seeing bucks were the road hunters and people jumping them, of course. Glassing and trying to find large areas to glass with our 15's was tough, but we filled our tags with a couple meat bucks. Nothing special by any means lol.

Congrats. Meat bucks are the best. That unit gets a lot of pressure due to the leftover tags that people get to buy when they don't draw. Not much of an elk herd but I know what you mean about the parade of vehicles when I was on my Coues archery hunt. About 15 vehicles a day filled with elk hunters down the dead end FS road I was camped on. I will go back in Jan. to see what I can find for one of those little deer.

hntr4life, that's a heck of a buck. I think he's a lucky buck too. Looks like same buck we seen on first rifle hunt in 23. Sent you a pm.