Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Firearm insurance and home security

I work part time at a gun shop. We hear awful tales all the time of theft of firearms. Even some of our employees have been victims. One of the sad parts is that they thought their Homeowners Policy covered their firearms. It normally only covers 3 to 4 thousand unless they are added or the coverage is bumped up. With optics a rifle can easily max out the policy. One customer's 2 rifles (optics and suppressors and goodies) and 1 Glock pistol were stolen. He had over 12k in them, got 2500 back.

There is a free policy that is available to NRA members for an additional 2500 of coverage. They will up that coverage for a fee if you feel you need it. Not advertising for the company or the NRA, but Im tired of seeing people getting blindsided after they have been ripped off. https://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/armscare.htm

Myself, Ive been busy inventorying and cataloging my collection. I will be adding to my coverage.

A couple tips:

Bolt your safe to the ground or wall. Entire safes have been stolen.

There are sensors that go into your safe that, through wifi report- movement, temp, humidity and when opened. They are not to expensive.

Those "dropcam" or home surveillance on your safe are a good investment.

Get a cable lock for your vehicle if you leave anything in it. Smash and grab has happened while a customer was getting his hair cut.

Sorry about the preaching rant, But Can I get a Witness!

• Like 4

I agree. Not only your firearms and accessories but all you have in your house. We have riders for extra insurance on the wife's jewelry and our computers. When we installed our home alarm we get a discount from our insurance company. Know what your insurance covers and make sure you are covered. Pictures and serial numbers are important to have as well.

• Like 1

When burglars stole 35 rifles and shotguns from me a few years ago, I was covered for $1,000 under my homeowners policy and $16,000 under a rider I had purchased many years earlier. What I failed to do was increase the rider as my guns appreciated in value and I added new ones.

Even the insurance appraiser said the value of my guns and scopes totaled more than $42,000. Unfortunately, the check I got to replace my loss was for only $17,000.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

My home owners will only cover $10K for theft. They will go higher I believe but it gets pretty costly if I remember right. They will cover them completely though in case of fire damage or things like that which is honestly more of my concern.

Their is a better shot of my house burning down and ruining everything in my safe than their is of someone breaking into it or stealing it whole.

I have a policy through state farm that I started years ago that covers theft or damage from a house fire or vehicle accident or what have you. It's based on the replacement cost of the items, so once a year I provide a list of all the firearms I have, the optics on said firearms, the serial numbers and the cost to replace them at current market values. Some items I have I know I could never replace so I mark their value accordingly. I have over 20 items on my personal policy and my monthly premium is only like $9 bucks a month. Very reasonable cost for a little peace of mind.

a coworker is an avid bicyclist with crazy expensive bikes...his home was broke into and lost tens of thousands in bike parts, frames, etc..... luckily he had a rider insurance policy and found a loop hole in his homeowners policy...he about broke even.

long story short.... I heard his horror story from listening to him speak to the insurance company..... a simple "rider or personal policy would have taken care of this.... coverage is cheap, for every $10K its about $100 a year....

When thieves got 12 of my guns a few years back the insurance cover $2000 on the firearms but no limit on optics. binos and riflescopes were replaced at 100%. When the police called to say they recovered one, I had to buy it back from the ins. company.

When thieves got 12 of my guns a few years back the insurance cover $2000 on the firearms but no limit on optics. binos and riflescopes were replaced at 100%. When the police called to say they recovered one, I had to buy it back from the ins. company.

That's how it works since they already settled with you they now are the owner, say thing when a car gets stolen and they pay you a settlement and car gets recovered a few weeks after you have been cut a check.

I just finished the camera system that emails or texts when it sees movement. Stores the info in the cloud. Not foolproof but still beer then the honor system

Do they make a camera system with a flame thrower or poison dart shooter? Meth makes stupid people even stupider. I get sick when I hear about people getting their guns stolen. Lark.

• Like 2

I have a rider on my guns and scopes. What about binos and spotting scopes? Those fall under personal property coverage on my homeowners policy, correct?

Check your policy..

On a side note, my garage camera did alert me to my freezer being raided by my 12yo daughter. Chocolate ice cream is apparently her breakfast of choice.

• Like 1

Hey, cactusjack. Thank you for your advice.  These conditions about firearms might be written in the contract, so everyone needs to be as attentive as possible in order not to be fooled by the companies. I also have some guns and I was worried about them, so I was trying to find something suitable for me and my family. I used Google to find something about insurance companies. I found the site of Money Expert. These guys provide the description of the insurance companies nearby, according to your preferences.