Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Rain Gear - Brag about yours!

On my last hunt on the Kaibab, there was some rain and I found out real quick that my current Rain Suede is toast. It is heavy and not the most packable to begin with. Could use pit zips. Outer fabric is quiet but holds moisture.

What are you guys using here in AZ that you like? I don't need camo, probably prefer something without. Don't like many pockets, particularly randomly placed pockets that really serve no function (sleeves, huge pockets on only one side of the jacket). Want something that is light enough that I will always carry it in my pack. Prefer something that is somewhat quiet. Pit zips to release heat and moisture are a huge plus.

Does anyone have a rain jacket that they want to brag about? I should have bought a KUIU Chugach gray jacket back when they were on clearance but I thought my Rain Suede would last longer than it did. My OCD won't let me buy the newer, heavier Made in China Chugach with the single chest pocket.

Nick

Kuiu and it is crazy good! most of the pricey stuff is very good.

However the cheap stuff you wad up in a ball for short term use works really well also other than it doesn't breath much and can be noisy.

Take you rain suede wash it really good, make sure it is very, very dry, and spray the piss out of it with rainguard, nikwax, campdry, etc. It will probably be good as new. You can get really crazy and use NeverWet, someone had a video of it on here and it will waterproof a cotton t-shirt.

I picked up the Kryptek Poseidon. Super lightweight, packable and was,is on closeout. Check sierra trading post. After coupons and discounts, it can be had for 150$ for the set.

I thought most Az hunters use their truck as rain gear! :)

Lots of good stuff out there if you are willing to spend some coin. Depends on what you are looking for. Packable, insulated, use a a normal layer when it's not raining? Kuiu, sitka, FL, kryptex are all pretty good. Even some cabelas stuff is good.

I have a set of Cabela's Gore-Tex camo gear. I just got it last year, but it kept me dry in AK last year in some torrential downpours. Works great here in AZ too. And awesome as a wind stopper. Pretty quiet, I got the jacket that does not have a lot of pockets or flaps, as I hate catching a bowstring on anything.

• Like 1

I have a set of Cabela's Gore-Tex camo gear. I just got it last year, but it kept me dry in AK last year in some torrential downpours. Works great here in AZ too. And awesome as a wind stopper. Pretty quiet, I got the jacket that does not have a lot of pockets or flaps, as I hate catching a bowstring on anything.

I got one of those...

mSGODkme3uU57mQwVysgusw.jpg

I've got the Kings camo rain gear. It kept me dry in this last Godzilla start to El Niño. I can't believe how much rain there was up here by alpine.

Anyways, one thing I dislike very much is the amount of noise it creates. There is no way to put a stalk on something and expect to get within 100 yards. Way too loud. I am looking for something more quiet now, so if anyone knows of anything I'd be all ears

I've got the Kings camo rain gear. It kept me dry in this last Godzilla start to El Niño. I can't believe how much rain there was up here by alpine.

Anyways, one thing I dislike very much is the amount of noise it creates. There is no way to put a stalk on something and expect to get within 100 yards. Way too loud. I am looking for something more quiet now, so if anyone knows of anything I'd be all ears

Stalk in the rain the noise will be flooded out , like you B)

I just used the cabelas rain jacket and pants that compress into a little bag. It worked great during an all day on off rain.

• Like 1

I use Cabelas MT 50 rain jacket, I buy it a size larger so I can layer my clothing, its quiet, durable, keeps me dry and blocks the wind well. When you find it in the bargain barn in the store it is an excellent deal.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/men-s-hunting-clothing/men-s-hunting-camo-rainwear/men-s-hunting-jackets-parkas-rainwear%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104244480/i/104020380/cabela-s-