Sign in to follow this  
bhuntin

spawn

anyone have any info on when the trout in white mtns typically spawn.early or later october? thx

As far as I know trout in most the lakes with no running tributaries or rivers do not spawn ... In the the rivers and creeks rainbows I believe spawn in the spring while Browns and Brooks spawn in fall to late fall.

The spawn is usually the last couple weeks in Oct- 1st couple weeks in Novemeber. it's usually right before the creeks and lakes ice up. I've had unbelievable spawn/fishing a day or two before ice over. The spawn in each lake or creek is usually different. If you spend enough time looking & scouting you can usually hit the spawn in several lakes and creeks.

This is the best time of the year to be fishing the White Mountains. Awesome fishing!

• Like 3

Trout spawn like crazy in lakes. They just don't hatch. Rainbows spawn in the spring time. Browns and brooks in late fall. I've seen crescent lake look like a hatchery at the dam, with giant brooks. Caught huge spawning rainbows in big lake and crescent a buncha times. Some BIG Browns outta hawley in spring and fall. Lark.

• Like 3

Trout spawn like crazy in lakes. They just don't hatch. Rainbows spawn in the spring time. Browns and brooks in late fall. I've seen crescent lake look like a hatchery at the dam, with giant brooks. Caught huge spawning rainbows in big lake and crescent a buncha times. Some BIG Browns outta hawley in spring and fall. Lark.

from this last weekend....two of the rainbows were squirting out eggs as they were pulled in. All 3 of us limited out...bite was pretty much non stop. ANDROMEDA GALAXY PIC WAS TAKEN BY MY SON AFYER FISHING WAS OVER....GREAT DARK SKIES FOR PHOTOGRAPHY....PLEIADES IS THE CONSTELLATION

post-8870-0-32604500-1447085257_thumb.jpg

post-8870-0-70944400-1447085258.jpg

post-8870-0-60670300-1447085259.jpg

post-8870-0-62418300-1447085260_thumb.jpg

post-8870-0-90361300-1447085261.jpg

post-8870-0-42411600-1447100016_thumb.jpg

post-8870-0-78240400-1447101103_thumb.jpg

Typically the browns spawn in the fall and rainbows in the spring. Browns in the white mountains will spawn from end of october through thanksgiving. Depends on the year, weather, etc. Since most of the rainbows in the lakes are stocked I have noticed that a lot of them have their wires crossed and you can find them with eggs in the fall trying to spawn along with the browns. Typically the browns are a little harder to catch when spawning as they aren't really focused on eating as breeding but they are aggressive and generally speaking its a great time to catch a monster thats not laying low. The rainbows will be sucking up anything they can thats egg colored making for some awesome fishing. Have had days where every cast before my secret bait hits the bottom you get a bite. Typically they will be spawning on shallow rocky points, inlets of small creeks, and some shallow rocky coves. Like mentioned above a little pre-scouting usually turns up some spawning locations.

• Like 1

night crawlers...tried power bait for about a minute and went back. they would hit on the fall and pretty quick once on the bottom. sometimes they would pick up and swim it in towards shore and we would watch the line and laugh because you couldn't feel anything but as soon as line went back out it was on. It was a great fishing day. we were fishing off a shallow rocky point in about 8 to 4 feet of water . most hits came about 20 feet off the shore