Sign in to follow this  
mruda1

4A Help

Just looking for a little help in 4A.

Me and my dad drew the late rifle bull hunt in 4A this year. We're both pretty familiar with the area but just curious if anyone has any specifics on the locations of elk.... pines or cedars, etc? So far I've taken one scouting trip and the watering holes listed on the game and fish maps haven't panned out. Any info would be much appreciated as this is probably the last time he'll be able to go. Thanks!

That hunt could have some nasty weather. If we get an early winter the higher elevations will be tough. I'd concentrate in the lower country/transition areas. From the 225 road north to the forest boundary and into the juniper country will hold elk that time of year.

That hunt could have some nasty weather. If we get an early winter the higher elevations will be tough. I'd concentrate in the lower country/transition areas. From the 225 road north to the forest boundary and into the juniper country will hold elk that time of year.

Definitely head for the lower country. I had this hunt years ago and was foolish in my strategy, spending the majority of the hunt in the higher country and saw a number of cows but zero bulls.