Deserttrecker

Non-Fried Squirrel Recipes?

Pop loved squirrel pot pie.

We would just roast them over the fire, don't cook it to fast or it'll get tough.

Sacrilege! lol, just kidding. I grew up on fried squirrel, rabbit and duck.

One thing you might try is quartering them up, season with lemon pepper and bake until tender.

My dad makes some pretty good squirrel red chili. I think it is the only way to make those things tender....

What he said. Quarter em up, simmer on low for an hour + or so til tender, add couple tbl spoons flour and some red chili , simmer little longer. Little more to it than that but delicious.

Not an expert but any meat like that, cook onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Add cleaned and dried meat. (Stewed or whole) pepper meat Nd let cook for an hour. Add green chili, paprika, Nd chipotle powder. Fry some taters on the side and serve with some tortillas. Maybe fried eggs if you love eggs like a real American!!

Like above, cut them up and sauté or simmer in tomato sauce and onions , some seasoning. Your tongue will kick the crap out of you forehead trying to get all the flavor off you lips. Add some spaghetti noodles

• Like 2

Not trying to derail this, lots of great ideas out there. Anyone here ever eat the brains? I think it was duck dynasty where they talked about eating squirrel brains. I think that episode showed them serving them whole.

Now I'm from Oklahoma, and we ate our share of squirrel, but I've never seen anyone dump 'em in a pot like "stew" or just plain whole - head on fried like a shrimp.

Quartered and battered in some buttermilk-egg wash, flour salt and pepper seared over olive oil is IMO the best way to cook 'em.

Lo-cal method, I agree some onions, garlic, basil and tomato - the bomb.

Squirrel Stroganoff is really good. You can do it in a dutch oven, regular oven, pressure cooker or slow cooker. Google for more detailed recipes. But the easy way is with a can of cream of mushroom soup and add some extra mushrooms and onions and some spices (pepper, garlic or even rosemary).

Green chili squirrel is good too. you can slow cook the squirrel in a crocpot and then debone and shred and simmer in the green chili recipe of your choice. Squirrel can be tough, so usually people favor longer cooking methods like a crockpot to help tenderize the meat. But a good pressure cooker can tenderize it faster.

• Like 1

Quarter squirrels. Brown in olive oil and garlic. Then add to a crock pot and simmer with onions and some water. Cook for a few hours. Then add carrots and celery for the last hour. Falls off the bone and very tasty.

Never heard of eating the brains, but I have heard of eating the cheeks. Never tried the cheeks. i always try for a head shot and the cheeks are often shot.

Resurrecting this post since my son and I got a few recently. Just how long do you cook them in a slow cooker, he wants to make a stew out of them. I quartered most of them and cut a few in half, minus the ribs. Then I brined them overnight for about 18 hours.