Sign in to follow this  
BigGameHunter

Unit 23: Dem Birds are Tricky

Spent the weekend in 23 with my 13 yr old son (who had the tag). While we didn't get our bird (just missed a little high on that bugger) we had a blast! Takeaways:

1. I absolutely didn't expect to see as many birds as we did. And was even more shocked to hear the toms gobbling like crazy in the early morning hours.

2. "Stalking" a turkey is dang near impossible. Everytime we thought we were in position they would slide behind us (this describes the whole weekend).

3. The best piece of material I ever purchased was a lightweight camo mesh-nylon (order from amazon, $5.00). If you don't have it ... strongly recommend it.

4. And this is the most important - absolutely nothing better in life than spending an entire weekend with your kid in the woods. Even though we were not successful we had the most amazing time. Missing the shot and still being able to keep our spirits high and continuing to work hard is what life is all about. He is already excited about his next hunt.

The line of the weekend, comes from the kid, as we are sitting quietly in our blind at about 5am, the elk were bugling all around us ...

*whispers* "dad if you think about it ... all the sounds the animals make in the woods are just so they can get it on"

• Like 17

Awesome!

you certainly don't mean 23.... ha ha. you must be talking about 17, 20, 45, 66...... shhhhh don't let people know there's good stuff in 23, I need my spring tag in there!

Best times there are, hunting with your kids. His line about the sounds of nature cracks me up. Good stuff right there.

Spent the weekend in 23 with my 13 yr old son (who had the tag). While we didn't get our bird (just missed a little high on that bugger) we had a blast! Takeaways:

1. I absolutely didn't expect to see as many birds as we did. And was even more shocked to hear the toms gobbling like crazy in the early morning hours.

2. "Stalking" a turkey is dang near impossible. Everytime we thought we were in position they would slide behind us (this describes the whole weekend).

3. The best piece of material I ever purchased was a lightweight camo mesh-nylon (order from amazon, $5.00). If you don't have it ... strongly recommend it.

4. And this is the most important - absolutely nothing better in life than spending an entire weekend with your kid in the woods. Even though we were not successful we had the most amazing time. Missing the shot and still being able to keep our spirits high and continuing to work hard is what life is all about. He is already excited about his next hunt.

The line of the weekend, comes from the kid, as we are sitting quietly in our blind at about 5am, the elk were bugling all around us ...

*whispers* "dad if you think about it ... all the sounds the animals make in the woods are just so they can get it on"

Nice meeting you out there. You and your son looked to be having a great time. Too bad the evening hunt didn't pan out but sounds like it was still a wild success.

• Like 1

Best times there are, hunting with your kids. His line about the sounds of nature cracks me up. Good stuff right there.

That's not even close to the funniest thing that kid has ever said. I swear that kid is 13going on 35

• Like 1