tomharveyb

San Carlos Antlerless elk

Hey everybody- I'm new to cw.com but was wondering if anybody out there has hunted the San Carlos Res for cow elk. I got a tag for Oct 30- Nov 8 later this month. I'm making my first scouting trip up there end of this week. Can anybody get me headed in the right direction? I've been to SC at least 20 times going in to Black River and turkey hunting and can honestly say I've never seen an elk there. Am planning on starting my scouting at Dry Lake. Thanks.

How much does a tag cost?

I thought they had changed it so all ELK hunts required a guide ... or maybe I am just recalling wrong.

OP .... assuming you have the dry lake and not Hill Top tag .... You should use the boundary map to be safe ... Check out north of Point of Pines along the Malay gap boundary back to the west staying in northern portion of the unit. Been a lot of years since being back there and back then the herd seemed pretty small.

Well I just spent two awesome days scouting on the res, and must say it was well worth it just to be among all those bugling bulls. I had 8 bulls screaming a each other in a basin, with a 375 ish at 60 yards.. Too bad I have a cow tag. Still exciting, and I 'm not out $30,000!

• Like 1