Sign in to follow this  
Thomas11

Elk draw

So basically the residents will get more tags in the bonus pass and NR will get 5% in the random draw, which in the past NR really didn't draw any "random draw tags except the lower end units". NR still get 10%, just allocated differently? Correct? I think it's a win win for everyone

Correct, residents will gain 5% of the Bonus Pass tags, NR will drop to 5% but NR won't draw the full 5% remainder in the 1-2 Pass because of the number of residents.

There will be no guarantee % for NR.

The Dept had to make the change because there are multiple hunt codes where a NR has zero chance at a tag unless they are in the max pool. The new draw report will clearly show those hunt codes and with app services and magazines also pointing that out, they were forced to make some sort of change to keep new NR apps coming in. The change is a win for all groups but the max pool NR.

Wapitibob, so why is it the NR won't draw the 5% in the random draw? Your saying basically that because of the number of residents applying the random tags could get filled by residents first before NR fill the 5% since it's not two seperate pools?

Well I would think NR will get the full 5% in the random draw on the "upper end hunts" and probably may not all the lower end hunts due to a small NR applicant pool

Sue for what? "Not fair"? They don't have to give nr a single tag.

I think technically by law they have to give NR a chance at 10% of tags. Think the department was getting sued about it about 10 years ago by some big outfitters or something. Could be wrong but I think it went something like that.

It has been a few years since the lawsuit, I can't remember if his first name was George or not but his last name was Taulman from USO out of Taos, NM. He sued the AZGFD over the 10% cap and it was during the fall draw when it was still for all species. The draw had already occurred and a judge overturned the 10% cap. AZGFD rather than redo the whole draw went ahead and gave tags to the NR who would have drawn. There were some big names that were awarded tags, I believe Jim Zumbo and Jeff Foxworthy were a few who got tags but if I remember right they didn't accept them, anyways it caused a huge stink in the west and I believe a senator out of Nevada spearheaded a legislation change at the federal level that basically gave the states the right to manage their wildlife how they see fit. The up to but no more than 10% cap was reinstated. It was soon after the AZGFD started the public input process on some changes the biggest at the time was the change that you had to purchase a license in order to apply for big game tags.

• Like 1

"a legislation change at the federal level that basically gave the states the right to manage their wildlife how they see fit"

Bingo! We have a winner!

• Like 1