Tw13

New to 36c and to coues

My son and I are hunting the October rifle season. We are new to the unit 36c and to coues. Not new to hunting but looking for a new experience. We have done a lot of research and tried to prepare but nothing like some personal experience. If anyone has any tips. Thank you.

Glass glass glass

• Like 1

Get up early find high points ! Glass and take your time! Deer will be moving just have to catch them! Glassing is key ! Using a tripod will do wonders for you ! Good luck

Congrats on your tag and be ready for the addiction of these little deer to hit you head on! You've picked a unit with no shortage of deer! The bucks are there you just need to get back into the hills or flats for that matter and find them. When I'm hunting a new unit I always look for limited vehicle access areas and go from there. I like to hike in the dark a few miles before getting to a knob or glassing point that you can see as much country as possible and let your eyes do the walking from there. Be patient as most of the deer will get up and move a little throughout the day off and on. Glass, Glass, and Glass some more! Trust me if you feel like your not seeing anything it's most likely you not the deer. You can probably find at least a doe on just about any hill in that unit! Good luck and post pictures when you kill!

• Like 1

to get to the good whitetail areas you need to hike in behind the locked gates.

is a good hunt but be careful with the illegal trafic. check the azgfd website for 36c.

good luck

On that hunt especially, you will need to be at your glassing point long before its light outside. They will be moving to bed early, it will still be pretty warm down there. And get it cleaned and cooled quickly. It's a great hunt!! Have fun man!!

• Like 2

It helps to have Doogan there to carry it out for you!

Prepare for the heat! Watch for snakes. There are a lot deer down there. It is a great area to hunt.

• Like 1

Get behind the locked gates a ways, glass glass glass. South slopes early then north slopes all day. Even if it's hot theses little deer move a little all day long. Lots of deer in the unit, good luck!

Thank you for all of the replies. Sorry about the delayed response. I had a little trouble getting back on. We are excited and will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice. We can't wait to put it to use.

We hunted from Sunday evening to Thursday evening, which was the end of the season. We had a great time and worked hard. We stayed out all day but one, which we took a lunch break. . We saw deer all days and many each day. There were a lot of does and fawns. Bucks were not easy to find. On Tuesday we did find, what we would call, a decent buck. I know there are bigger,but we were thrilled with finding him. My son was able to get a good shot on him. I never did catch up to a buck. Came close. No trouble with illegals or drug runners. We had a great time. We are still picking out an occasional thorn though. Thanks for your input and help. I would also now say a tripod is invaluable even for lower power binoculars than the 12x or 15x.post-13859-0-97987200-1446688774_thumb.jpeg

post-13859-0-97723400-1446689038_thumb.jpeg

post-13859-0-77853800-1446689359_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10