Sign in to follow this  
208muley

Kiabab road question

I have a 12bw hunt coming up and don't want to pull my trailer all the way up on the buckskins on the winter road if I can avoid it. For those of you that have recent knowledge of the 248 road north of Jacob lake, how good is the road? It looks like I should be able to trailer to within about 3-4 miles of 12b set camp then drive in to day hunt. Pm or post here if you would like. Thanks in advance.

I've been up the 248 during archery season but never in the late season. It was fine early on, as most of the road on the plateau are. Sorry not more help but you should be OK based on my best guess as long as you don't have a ton of snow on the ground.

• Like 1

i had the late hunt a few years ago. It was wet when we arrived and then snowed the first night. The main roads, including the road over the Buckskins were all OK. There were some mud puddles but nothing to cause a problem. The side roads on top were a slight challenge in the low lying areas where the water collected but we were never in danger of being stuck. The road over the Buckskins that starts just outside Fedonia was almost like a highway - no problems at all. You can pull a trailer on that road all the way to the base of the Buckskins with no problem.

Thanks guys. Looks like its gonna be a warm dry hunt so no worries on snow. Think I'm gonna try the 248 go as far as I can pull the trailer.

Heat, did you put in for 20c piggie? My offer still stands.

• Like 1

Last year some friends of mine that had the 12b late hunt, they took road 1026 that comes off of 89a. Road 1026 is about halfway inbetween Jacob Lake and Fredonia. Road 1026 goes north, and hits the winter road. They camped on the west side of the buckskin mountains at the base on the winter road. There are some camp spots on the winter road and also off of road 1026. They pulled 34 foot trailers all the way to the base of the buckskins. If you're going to hunt the Buckskins it isn't that far at all from where I just described. Good luck on your hunt.

248 Gets a little rough on the north end,before you get to the winter road.I would take the winter road in it is very good all the way to the mnt.