Sign in to follow this  
DNS

Sometimes the Small Ones are the Best Ones

I was able to go out with my youngest daughter last week on her youth deer hunt. The kids were out of school the week of the opener so I took the week off and we hung out at the cabin and scouted throughout the week. We had a great week. We found a bunch of deer, some good bucks, and one monster. One day scouting we counted over 100 different deer and 15 bucks. Things were looking good and then the Thursday morning before opening day the transmission died on my truck. The only gear the truck would go into was reverse. Thankfully when this happened we were only a mile from the cabin so we were able to back up and at least get it home. My son had the truck the evening before in the middle of nowhere looking for bears and I was glad that this didn't happen there or it would still be there.

Now we have to switch up our plans a little to get close enough to an area we want to hunt in my wife's 2wd honda pilot. We make due with the pilot on opening day and are in deer all day. She ends up passing on 10 bucks waiting for the monster to make an appearance, but he never does. Just before dark on opening day we get into 4 big bucks, but the light wasn't good and she didn't feel comfortable with the shot so we back out and hope to find them the next morning.

Her older sister came up for a short visit on Friday night, but had to leave Saturday mid morning. My youngest decided that if possible she wanted to go back with her sister for some things she needed to do Sunday and wanted to shoot the first buck she saw Saturday morning. I told her it was her tag and that she could shoot any legal buck she wanted.

Sure enough we get into a group of 10 does and one tiny buck Saturday morning. She decides she wants this buck even though it was smaller than all of the bucks she passed on opening day. We move in and she finds a good solid rest. The buck is feeding with the does so she chambers a round. The buck heard her chamber the round and looked over at us for a few seconds and then back to feeding. She fires and the buck jumps and is dead right there. It was quartered towards us and she aimed just in front of the front shoulder. She hit it just in front of the onside shoulder, the bulled went perfectly through the heart, and exited just behind the offside shoulder. If you looked at a picture of this buck the way it was facing and tried to pin point the exact place to shoot it I don't think it is possible to have placed the bullet any better than she did. It was absolutely a perfect shot.

The buck wasn't the monster, but the experiences we had that week are as good as it gets.

Here she is ready to go opening morning

post-11812-0-41993600-1445084180_thumb.jpg

Her with her trophy

post-11812-0-26101100-1445084262_thumb.jpg

Her with her older brother. He is 17 now and does most of the work after the kill

post-11812-0-96980300-1445084336_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

YES!!!!! ANY deer (or any other animal) is the 'Best One', when it is the result of precious time spent with your children! Nothing beats hunting with your kids!! :)

Very awesome for your daughter! Thanks for sharing with the site!

S.

:)

• Like 3

Great story. Brings back memories when i was a kid and my dad took me out of school for a week to go hunting.

Those were great times. My dad is gone now, but I always look back at those great times.

Congrats to your daughter, Hats off to you and your daughter in building great memories

• Like 1

Very cool. Congratulations to the young lady. It is so awesome to see our children continuing what we love to do!

More D

• Like 1

Tasty tasty meat though!!!

• Like 1

Tasty tasty meat though!!!

Definitely tasty meat and she didn't ruin a bit of it with the shot.

Great story and I agree that the time spent together is the real trophy. Congrats on letting her pick her hunt and congrats to your daughter!

• Like 1

Great story!! I am soo blessed to be taking ny boys. Next year momma wants to shoot one!!! I can't wait. Its all about the kids and time spent away from electronics abd the city rush. Its a great urine to spend with your children.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments. My daughter has enjoyed reading them