Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Kayakers - How do you transport you Kayak?

I split the cost of a 10'er today with my son for his birthday and he has a Chevy Colorado Crew Cab without any type of roof rack or any cutouts in the bedrails to dab up a bed rack.

• Like 1

well, I haven't seen the inside of a Colorado for a long time. In my full sized dodge with a 6 foot bed, I could haul two kayaks pretty easy. I just left the tailgate up and nose them in to the bed. Yes, they do stick up and out, but no one has ever bothered me. When I do three or four kayaks, its the same method, but I would place them on their side and stab all four into the back of the truck. (looks kinda like a giant comb out of the back).

I could get by with one strap on the back end, putting tension on the "up in the air end" to draw them towards the cab, and I was able to either use a load bar or a second strap towards the front of the kayaks, to keep them from cantilevering out of the truck. ---for four kayaks, I would just use more straps. particularly on the back end. If it makes you more comfortable, I used to have an old red shirt I would tie on heavy weekend days when going to the lake.

My buddy used to have an s-10 and he could fit three kayaks in , similar methods, just fine when we would do the river run. (we would put one truck at the bottom and kayak from the top).

I have pictures if you want to see, I just don't have any here on the pc.

When I hauled my canoe (before I got the ladder rack) I would square it up on the cab of the truck and use the foam block kits (sportsmans and dicks has them-for canoes and kayaks). Even if the Colorado doesn't have stake pockets, I think theres a lashing cleat in each corner. or look at puttint them in .... way easier to throw the kayak in and just go.

Now with this truck, I have carried 4 kayaks, a canoe, a folding picnic table, a tailgater grill, and of course the ice chest all in one trip. Might be a sight to see, but everyone had fun at the water that day.