Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

7e Son Dylans First Elk

This was a new area for us all. But being able to glass and having a few pointers from friends we had a good general area. Evening before we got up high and glassed up a few bulls and quite a few cows so we new the plan was working so far. Also right before dark glassed up a nice fat bear round mile away. Didnt know the unit was open but let a buddy know and he was coming next day. My priority was my sons first big game. Here is a pic of the bear a mile or sonaway. Bottom right of bush.

So morning comes and we head out. Around 645 i see a glimpse of what i thought was an elk on a ridgle. Quicknlook thru binos and there is a herd. I set up my 15's and so does my oldest son. We see about 4 bulls and 8 cows. So my son dylan and i head out and my wife and oldest son watvh thru the 15's as we make our stalk. We get about 500 yds and the elk are still in the same spot. We continue to get closer amd we spook a bull about 30 yds. Then the heard bull starts bugling which was awesome for him to experience. So all we need is a clear shot on any cow. We follow the bugle and jump a spike. Kept getting busted by bulls. We continue to follow the bugle and we sense they r moving away. We run over to this opening and see 3 cows. I opened the bipod for dylan and he set his tilka t3 270 on it and BOOM. The whole heard runs including the cow he shot at. I thought oh no he missed. Shot was about 80 yds. I said dylan how was your shot. He said dad it was perfect. He wasnt shaking or anything. I said ok well then lets go look for blood. Meanwhile the herd is 200 yds below us bugling like crazy. We see zero blood and now im like dang it. I said dylan lets keep looking. As i turn to follow tracks i look up and see the cow dead about 50 yds away. Perfect shot and right thru heart. Such a proud moment. Also first hunt my wife went on and she butchered the meat for us. Such a trooper

post-9454-0-99173100-1445177552_thumb.jpg

post-9454-0-71530900-1445178284_thumb.jpg

post-9454-0-63410200-1445178365_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Good job Dylan! Way to get it done.

Travis, good job on making the old lady do your dirty work for ya. And good job on putting your boys in elk opening day on each of their hunts.

Aweslome! Congratulations Dylan and Travis!

Glad it worked out for you guys and that we didn't run them all out of the country.

Nice job on getting it done in a new unit.

Congrats to your boy.

Looks like the family had a good time and I'm Impressed with the wife too.

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

Awesome! Man we saw zero on peaks hunt. I ran out and bought a bear tag when i read your post thursday that you had seen one. :] congrats to your crew!