Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Limited Hopi 5BN hunt leftover tag filled

First off when they say limited, G&F isn't joking. Did some pre-scouting to get a layout of what my boundaries were going to be. My unit was a smidge of a section (twin arrows to the base of Anderson Mesa rim to Chavez pass to meteor crater) saw some elk but not many, but something is better than nothing, so fast forward to Oct 15. Got camp set up and waited for Friday. Got up early and got to a high point to glass, about 1 hr into it I see dark clouds rolling in and then thunder followed by lightning. The fact that I was high up and holding a metal lightning rod made me really nervous. I make it off the mountain just in time before the sky opened up. It rained throughout the day on Friday, Saturday and partially Sunday. Roads becomes snot, got stuck, punctured a sidewall, ended up driving back into Flagstaff and made a complete 4 tire purchase. Trip just got really expensive. Saw elk everyday, had a few shots, missed and blamed and cursed my gun. Drove back into Flagstaff Sunday night to visit a friend and just regroup had dinner and some tasty libations. Made it back to camp only to have it rain some more, woke up at 5:30 this morning to give it a try. Started walking up my usual hill and busted a herd, got a shot off but missed. High tailed it to a saddle only to see a bull and cow standing at the bottom of this hill, ranged the cow at 217 yds and sent the 270wsm 150 gr bullet down hill. Hit my target and started the really hard work. Dropped it off at Casey's and now back in Tucson with the family. Tough hunt but determination and many miles got the job done.

post-2173-0-81803200-1445312884_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Congratulations. Way to stick with it through all the challenges!

Congrats, nice shot placement too!

Congrats and way to stick with it. She's going to be some good eatin!

Lighting is nothing to take a chance with. Last August I just got out of my metal ladder tree stand and got less than 20 yards from it when it ( the tree and stand) was struck by lightning. That was as close as I ever want to come to a strike.

• Like 1

Glad to see all he hard work pay off congrats

Just dont think about them tires at dinner time and she will taste better. ;) congrats on your success!

When I informed the Mrs. the day I was in Discount Tire, the 1001 questions started; Do you really need new tires............yes, the roads are horrible and slick. Do you need to purchase all 4 now..............Yes, I need more aggressive tires to locate these hard to find elk. Why can't you just buy one..........the tread is different on the other 3 and won't wear properly causing further problems down the road.

Just this morning, she said you might as well go to the at wash and clean your new tires, they are still dirty. I love my wife, she is so funny. But yes you are right, the elk will definitely taste better not thinking about the purchase.

Gotta love them! Ok bud go get them tires clean...

My 1st deer hunt at 10yr old i remember my mother totalling up the cost of guns, ammo, gas, new camper for ford, jeep to tow behind ford with new camper.. Cost per lb of meat was rather high

I get told all the time, why don't you just buy a half of a cow!!! REALLY that is no fun at all!!! I don't get to shoot it.

• Like 1

Way to go! I've always been curious about success rates on that limited opportunity hunt!

Also, I've given up on using my pickup in 5B North. It's just so rocky and frustrating....and that's when the roads are dry! I finally invested in a cheap quad last year and just leave the truck in camp.

better then the tag I didn't draw this year! nice work