azhuntnut

Tundra versus bull elk (pics)

On the way back from NM this past week, around forrest lakes area 2 vehicles in front of me hit a cow elk. The truck in front of me finished her off. There wasnt damage to the first vehicle like the picture above.

Monday Driving up the rim before Woods Canyon there was a cow on the side of the road that was hit too.

Headed up through unit 1 a few years back a mini van ahead of me hit a cow. By the time I got there the van had just pulled out and left. Probably not a lot of damage to the van but the cow's hind legs were either broken or there was spinal damage because they were immobile. She kept lifting her head and kicking her front legs but couldn't get up. I shot her to put her out of her suffering and called Game and Fish. I asked about keeping her but was told that was not possible and that they would send someone to get her. On my way home 4 days later she was still on the side of the road rotting and had been chewed on. It really upset me. Even if I was not able to keep it, I would have gladly quartered it and delivered it somewhere where it could have been used.

Not a smart thing to do. Under the current title 17 laws, you would have just illegally taken an animal. Under the same BS rules, the G&F person would be 'obligated' to cite you! There is no exceptions in the statute for mercy killing. If you shoot one again, keep your mouth shut (or your keyboard).

A few years ago a snowbird hit a 180" class bighorn by Stewart Mountain, he did not want the salvage tag. G&F auctioned it and it brought a pretty penny.

IF you are going to take the animal, you need to wait for the investigator to ISSUE you a salvage tag- not just give you a number.

Looks like that Tundra is possibly totaled; the bull is! As for airbags, they deploy based on inertia- if one goes, they both go.