Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Ford 150 ecoboost 4X4

I've only had my '12 f150 ecoboost for a few weeks now but I'm loving it so far. It's smooth with plenty of power. Don't expect it to get better gas mileage than the other half ton trucks though just because it says Ecoboost. I had a 2wd '10 Tundra previously and just wanted to try something different and needed 4wd. I was looking for the best deal that popped up after looking at many tundras and f150's. My f150 popped up for sale with everything I wanted, so I got it. I loved the Tundra though too, it was a beast and fun to drive.

I looked into buying a Ford Edge with an Ecoboost a few years ago. The power band seemed kind of sketchy, and the added cost worked out to be nearly 100,000 miles before you would break even on the gas savings. Went with the gas motor.

We bought a 2013 4x4 ecoboost this past spring. We love it! We pulled a 10,000 pound toy hauler from the valley up to the Mogollon Rim this past summer with no problems. The only problem is my wife loves is so much I hardly get to drive it.

its one of the better trucks made today. see very few problems with them. i drive a lot of them and recently got in one that has been averaging 22mpg. they must baby it.

I've had a 2012 that I put 100k on. Traded it for an identical one in 2014 model in December. That one has 36k on already in 8 months. The best way I can describe it is you either have Eco or you have boost. Not both together. It'll get 25 mpg all day on flat ground with not wind at 52mph. The second it starts working then it all changes. I average 16.7 on mine but I drive 82 on interstate for 90% of my miles. Don't buy it for the fuel economy or you will be dissapointed. The power is absolutely unmatched by anyone out there. I've driven hemis and Toyotas with the big v8 and they don't hold a candle to the ecoboost. It's a totally diff type of power, much more like a diesel then a traditional gas. It will outpu my dads 7.3 power stroke all day (his is a little tired though with 300k). It also has way more power then his v10 super duty. We pull our 10k toy hauler to nm from nd with it every year. Pulls it down the interstate at 80 and rarely drops below 5th gear. It absolutely sucks the fuel though. We averaged 6.5 on the last trip. It went up a lot on two lane highway when we went 60-65. Again don't buy one for the mileage or you will be dissapointed. I had a problem with intercooler on my 2012 that they warrantied but I wouldn't buy a 2010-2012 unless the intercooler ha been updated as it puddled water in the turbo when it was cold and would suck it into the motor when you sh1t canned it. This would shut the engine into limp mode. Did it 2 or 3 times and they fixed it. 2014 has been awesome so far. I won't own another pickup as long as they keep making these.

• Like 1

I have driven a lot of them and they won't touch a properly running 7,3 with a load (I have one). They are peppy but don't get good mileage if you use them. I don't know anything that does- at least they get a lot better than the Tundras!

I would love to have one but I have two trucks already!

I have a 13' 4x4 ecoboost and absolutely love it. Yotebuster is spot on when he says do not buy this for fuel savings alone though. I had it about a year with stock tires and no lift and averaged 19 mpg with 90% of my driving being freeways @ 75mph. Put a leveling kit and 33" tires on it and it dropped to about 17.5 mpg under the same conditions. Pulls my ranger crew on a 14' trailer like a dream. Guzzles gas doing it though. get about 13mpg on flat ground towing it or about 9 when headed up to flag or the rim. Absolutely no loss of power though. Thing would do 85 up the hill to Flag or the rim all day long. Drove a 6.0 powerstroke for awhile and towing the ranger almost feels the same. I also think they have worked out the ecoboost shudder that some of the early ones had too. Haven't had that issue with mine.

I've been interested in these too. Good, interesting info. Name a gas truck that does get good mileage hauling, none that I'm aware of. And they usually struggle bad too going up any hills. It sounds like the perfect compromise between gas and diesel. Especially if you haul infrequently, which most hunters do.

I've been interested in these too. Good, interesting info. Name a gas truck that does get good mileage hauling, none that I'm aware of. And they usually struggle bad too going up any hills. It sounds like the perfect compromise between gas and diesel. Especially if you haul infrequently, which most hunters do.

This is where I landed.....need to pull a trailer every now and then. Something that is interesting for me as I have researched these trucks.

#1 - There ain't nothing out there that looks like my 79 Ford 4 X 4 which is the last truck I ever bought.

#2 - My 79 Ford 4 X 4 never got 18 mpg and on its best day got 13 so anything these days pretty much puts that to rest.

I was on a lot last Saturday looking at trucks and they put a young kid on me as my sales person. I felt sorry for him because when I looked at the dash of those new trucks I must have had that Oh sheet look on my face. 98% of what is on that dash did not exist on my Ford. Needless to say I am getting an education on new trucks and have a feeling me and a users manual are going to have to spend some time together.