Sign in to follow this  
Elmacho

2015 Hunt of a Lifetime

After waiting 16 yrs as a NR to draw this tag, I knew I wanted to do it all up. I had the time to hunt the whole thing.

Normally I am a DIY hunter, but given I may not draw another tag until I retire, I was looking for a guide that would take me out for two weeks and hunt our butts off for a chance at a true monster. After months of research, I decided to hire Hunter Haynes from Payson, AZ. He is a young man that spends the vast majority of his time in the Central AZ unit I was planning to draw. Whether he is hunting critters, sheds or fish, he is always out there wandering around God's creation.

The hunt was epic and actually exceeded my expectations. We were passing mature bulls almost daily. I had opportunities at 5 bulls over 375 thru the course of the 14 day hunt. Several factors kept me from sealing the deal on any of them. Lightning storms, cows intervening, a black bear charging the harem trying to take out a calf, other guides moving in on top of us, even one guy who yelled from the hill above us to scare the bull we were stalking away....a nice 8x9 that was killed by that "hunter" on the rifle opener....but thats another story........

...so over the course of 14 days, I had been in close quarters of a 375+ bull on 7 occasions without sucess.........on the last day, it was time to kill for meat. With one hour left in the hunt, I heard this bull bugle and start raking the brush.....everytime he raked, I ran. In short order, I was at 40 yds. The next time he raked, I drew back and when he took a break from raking and cleared his rack from covering his vitals, I loosed the arrow. The flight was true and the bull died 20 yds from me. Looking for a meat bull to take home, I didnt expect to kill a bull grossing 355 the last hour of the hunt.

I want to thank Hunter Haynes for standing with me for 14+ long days, most that started at 3am and ended at 10pm+. He was very professional, courteous and maintained a positive attitude the duration of the hunt. His knowledge of every nook and cranny of the unit, especially in the dark, was unreal. If you are looking for a fair-chase, hard-core, no BS hunt, this is the guy. Did I mention he is also a Coues killer and bear assassin....he knows his stuff....

The hunt exceeded my expectations in every manner and created memories that will last my lifetime.

.....DANG!....I hope I dont have to wait another 16 years........

Mark

post-227-0-78393900-1446490892.jpg

• Like 11

That 16 years of waiting finally paid off!

Great bull, congrats.

that's a great bull and a great write up!

congrats!

James

Very nice Bull, congratulations.