Sign in to follow this  
BigGameHunter

Finally - Open Day Buck 36B

Well ... I can finally post a pic of a tagged buck. For far to long I have come to this site to relish in the pics of downed bucks and bulls, but today, I get to post one of my own. Five years in the making ... and here is my first recorded buck.

Got this guy in 36B this weekend. We knew with the amount of hunting pressure that was occurring south of us the deer would be pressed north back into the base of the base of the mountains and washes and we were right. After a long morning and a whole lot of walking and glassing I finally was able to kick this guy out of the wash on the way back to camp. Sometimes staying active and moving around the washes is all you need...sure it's kind of lucky, but I will take it. Besides luck only happens when opportunity meets preparation, right? While he wasn't the biggest buck we glassed during our scouting trip(s), he was one of the better ones we saw all weekend. I am just thankful that the weather stayed decent for us as we were expecting far worse from the rain storms. With just light sprinkles and a cool breezes it made the mornings fantastic. BIG THANKS to my brother for all his helping in getting this guy back to camp in one trip. Also, special credit to my 4yr old nephew for being a super trooper during the entire hunt and especially while packed his guy out. Thankfully, he was there to empty our snacks from the packs .. giving us plenty of room.

As a side note: as we spent this weekend chasing muleys we glassed up some awesome coues. I would bet my left leg that we probably glassed 15-20 coues bucks and 4 or 5 of them were 100"+. Sitting behind the tripod during this hunt was awesome as we were literally finding deer in ever nook and cranny of the desert and mountains. I would bet (my right leg this time) that we probably glassed 50-75 deer (does, bucks, whitetail, muley) throughout the entire trip. If anything, seeing that many deer, it keeps your morale high and confirms that you are in the right area(s).

Time to go take my 2015 archery tag and make soup out of it ... looks I won't be needing that bad boy in December. The soup will be served with a nice backstrap!

Happy hunting to all that have the second hunts.

post-5985-0-75834800-1446493196_thumb.jpg

post-5985-0-81023800-1446493214.jpg

• Like 15

Great write up! Very cool that you got it done! I've seen some stud muley's out there in 36B.

Pics were great (Except that ASU hat! Hahaha :lol: Just kidding!)

This is the only time tag soup tastes good. Congrats..........BOB!

Congrats but I didn't even see more than 10 mule deer in that unit when I hunted it last year. Of course when I show,up in Feb to hunt yotes I saw tons of them

36B is a awesome unit. The buck in my avatar was taken archery season 2 years ago in 36B. Can always seem to find Mulie or Coues bucks if you look. Congrat's on a great buck.

• Like 2