Been a while since I've posted any of my successes but I thought I would share this one.

This year I decided to try a new unit and to my luck I got the very last Tag in that unit. I enjoyed learning new areas and seeing new country. I did quite a bit of scouting leading up to the hunt, including some out of the way areas. The week before the hunt I decided to look in an area that I thought looked good and it would be a backup spot for half day hunts, with a short 45 min hike in. That day I located this buck and decided he was worth trying to find again. I figured this buck would be right around 100 inches. My goal for this year was taking a 100 inch buck or just something unique. I was even able to get a short video clip of the buck. I figured this buck would be right around 100 inches so I decided to look for him again.

Opening day came and I went back to that area, I ended up finding several other bucks in the area, one being a 90 inch 2x2, but this buck never showed himself. Day 2 went back to the same area; winds had picked up and found very few deer. Day 3 I decided to try out a new area that I really liked. I ended up seeing 9 bucks that day with a couple being 90-95 class bucks.

Day 4 I went back to the original plan to find this buck. I was seeing a few deer then around 7am I looked back to where I last saw the buck the week prior and found 2 little spikes. As I watched the spikes spare a little I saw movement at the bottom of my view and knew right away it was the buck I was looking for.

The two spikes and this buck started to slowly feed along the ridge. At this point the deer were about 650 yards. I got a new gun this year and with lots of practice I knew I could make that shot. I was fairly confident that they would bed down on the ridge within view as the kept feeding along the ridge. Even though I knew I could make that shot the ridge I was on turned and went straight to the deer cutting the distance to less than 400 yards. I was trying to decide to go after them right then or wait to bed down. I hate going after moving deer. They were moving slow so I decided to go for it and moved in closer.

I finally found a spot where I could set up, grass was so tall I had to lay my pack down to move the grass which after the shot I noticed I was maybe an inch over the pack, lucky I didn’t shoot my pack. The shot ended up being right at 375. I located him again and as he came into an opening I took the shot. At that distance I could make the deer out with my naked eye so right after the shot I could see the buck do a backflip, I knew he was down.

To my surprised the buck ended up taping right at 110 inches.

post-1770-0-86627700-1446569898_thumb.jpg

post-1770-0-80161700-1446569937_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Great buck, congrats.

Beauty of a buck you got there H2L!!! Hopin I stumble across one like that this yr

That is a really pretty deer! Nice job!