Sign in to follow this  
varnco

Considering OTC Deer in Dec

So, I have never bow hunted before, and I am considering buying an OTC for a December hunt, since I'm going to be off work during the holidays.

Any advice on a decent unit for a first-timer bow hunter?

The only one I've scouted so far, has been 33, for rifle, but was hoping for something a bit further north, but I am unfamiliar with the units up North.

Any thoughts on Unit 22, 23, 24 (assuming they have a Dec OTC hunt).

Thanks for any thoughts.

I would check the regs first. They do list all of the units with a OTC hunt for December. I'm sorry, I cant help you with anything other than that. I believe it is page 42. and 22,23 do not. 24 A&B does.

Good luck

• Like 1

So, I have never bow hunted before, and I am considering buying an OTC for a December hunt, since I'm going to be off work during the holidays.

Any advice on a decent unit for a first-timer bow hunter?

The only one I've scouted so far, has been 33, for rifle, but was hoping for something a bit further north, but I am unfamiliar with the units up North.

Any thoughts on Unit 22, 23, 24 (assuming they have a Dec OTC hunt).

Thanks for any thoughts.

between 22, 23, 24, 33 youll be hunting with 90% of the otc hunters. including myself. we cant all be wrong...can we?

I hope not since Dec is closed in 22 and 23.

between 22, 23, 24, 33 youll be hunting with 90% of the otc hunters. including myself. we cant all be wrong...can we?

• Like 2

haha, oh i see. well im killed out now till january anyway

Buy a bow right now and shoot it atleast 4 hours a day til December! Then hunt. Archery comes natural to some and is hard for others. Which ever OPEN unit you decide to hunt, make sure your ready for it with practice.

• Like 1

Doh! I was looking at the January column! thanks.

Where do you live?

I live in South Phoenix.

Any help is appreciated. pointers to units that may be more suitable for bow. I will scout on foot and atv.

I'd just stick with 33. You'll see way more deer than in any of the more northern units, and that means more opportunity.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Easy units for you to get to in December ......I would recommend 18B, 36B, 37B. All those units will be bow friendly!

AZ Sawbuck,

In your opinion, what defines a "bow friendly area" for a beginner in Arizona? What should one look for besides deer? :-)

36B? I should bring my AK47 with me....

Thanks.

I'd just stick with 33. You'll see way more deer than in any of the more northern units, and that means more opportunity.

Good luck.

Ya, considering it. I just miss trees (I'm from back east), and the part I've scouted on 33, (Charleau Gap/Peppersauce and that side of 33) is scant of trees. I understand I'm not hunting trees but deer, but thought this may be an opportunity to experience a different unit and maybe a few trees.

Good luck.

I like 33 and will probably spend some time down there this winter, but I'd point out that those deer get pushed around... A LOT! I don't like smart/experienced deer, I prefer them to be dumb and gullible, just like college girlfriends.

It's a good thing to see a lot of deer, but given the choice I'll take a handful of up close encounters over a 100 sightings through binoculars that never amount to squat. Stick with steep nasty stuff and you'll find yourself lonely, which is a good thing if you want to put an arrow in something.

If your game is to just shoot something legal, it's very easy to do. Find a nice flat saddle with some decent trails in it on top of a steep ridge with nasty thick cover on the north hill side. Dig yourself a hole in a juniper or some other brush that allows a few good shooting lanes. Settle in and get comfy with a good book. It might take a few days of sitting, but something with antlers will come by.

If you want a big ole nasty boy for the wall, buy high powered binoculars and start practicing being very, very sneaky.

Coues deer are pretty easy to ambush, but extremely difficult to stalk within 40 yards of.

• Like 2

Good luck.

If your game is to just shoot something legal, it's very easy to do.

Archery you say? Very easy you say?

Teach me, I've never even been able to kill one