Sign in to follow this  
Bassmaster

Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 vs Swarovski SLC 15x56

If i had 1600 bucks to put into optics, should i go the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 or the Swarovski SLC 15x56 (old ones) that i could find used that pop up from time to time. is the older swaro 15x 56 still better than the new zeiss? any help would be great.

Swaro.

Zeiss are fine but will lose value quicker and customer services is not nearly swaro. In 10 years swaro will still fetch a good price and you can upgrade.

If you must have new HD. I'd do meopta 15 hd. I did side by side with Zeiss and like the color contrast better and I think a bit brighter but that was a fairly quick side by side

• Like 1

The zeiss are better and their warranty is now a no-fault warranty. Just like vortex. I have had them side by side with swaro slc non hd, neu and the new hd. They are better than than non hd slc and the neu, but the new hd's have the edge.

• Like 2

I have the Zeiss and had the old slc until I upgraded to the new HD. The zeiss are just as good as the old swarovski in my opinion. I spent a lot of time with both side by side the Zeiss lasted a tiny tiny bit longer at the end of the day. I don't like the non locking eyecups on the swarovski. The Zeiss were hard for me to get focused and stay focused for a long classing session. I would recommend looking through both seeing what feels comfortable because the glass is pretty equal. My wife loves the Zeiss I prefer swarovski even the old ones because I can sit comfortable for hours behind them.

What ever ones your eyes like better.

• Like 3

Which ever one feels good behind your eyes, I would go with Swaro's personally unless I was going with the victory series zeiss!

For me the big difference is crisp edge around the edge on the swaros. Also if you know someone with a pair of each that you can get your hands on, try Glassing for 2-5 hours behind them, I'm sure you personally will be able to choose which ones to go with.

Thanks for the replies, i don't know anyone with either of them, so i have no way to field test them to see what my eyes like better.

"mudslinger" which slc's did you compare these with?

Only problem i had with the zeiss was diopter adjustment. It just would not focus clearly for my eyes. Kind of the same problem with vortex. Swaros hve never given me diopter problems.

• Like 1

swaro hands down is better to me. people that dont have them (not speaking for everyone) always say oh they dont make that much of a difference but the people that do have them know what kind of tool they have when they use them

• Like 1

Swaro is overrated IMHO. I recently got to look through some and my Nikon EDG are much, much better.

As nice as the Nikon EDG may be, I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money on a Nikon. Not worth the risk IMO

• Like 2

Agree with this!

Also, in the reviews I have seen none are pointing to the EDG as a winner. And none as MUCH better, optics are still subjective in a lot of ways so there is never a 100% winner from any of the birding, hunting, or sniping sites I have seen. At best most of them end with a decision that is 96% vs 98% or something in that realm.

It usually comes down to preferred ergonomics at the very high end on the HD, ED, etc. glass.

My best is example is my 8x32 Leupold Gold Rings. When they came out there were a few very serious comparisons done across a half dozen brands and the Gold Rings were the winner or equal to the euro's. They never did compete with the Euro's. My guess is the ugly color, slightly annoying eye cups, and the fact that they were the heaviest by a long way in their class caused their doom.

For the OP see if you can try them out and what feels and looks best to you. If something bugs you about one of them don't buy them it will eventually make you nuts after hours and hours of glassing.