thunderbolt

daughters first tag ever

LONG READ

Opening morning we hiked into an area a mile away but found other hunters coming in from the bottom of the canyon. So we back out and hit a deep deep canyon behind us. We ended up glassing a big coues a long ways away. My buddy Andrew stayed put to keep an eye on the bedded buck while we worked at getting closer. An hour and a half later we were set up for a 263 yard shot if the buck stood up. After 3 hours of waiting my buddy Andrew calls me on the phone to tell me he had another nice buck further down the mountain. Not knowing if the buck we were on was still there, we decided to leave after this other buck. Right before the phone call I glassed up another nice 3x3 and big 2 point in a canyon to the left and ranged him at 450 but could of got within 400 yards but decided not to cause of the giant canyon between us and by the time we would get to him it would be dark. We made our way across the side of this mountain 500 yards and were within range of this buck with a 400 yard shot but the sun was in our eyes. We decided to climb the mountain and try to shoot across the cut. We made our way up the mountain and chose to peek over to see where they were. They were only 150 yards away with the sun still in our eyes. I got my daughter set up and Brandon to spot for us. I didn't even have a chance to see how she shot as I was behind her holding her up so she wouldn't slide down the rock. I began to talk to her and walk her through it. I told her to find the broadside buck and to look behind it cause the 3x3 was just a bit higher. She said, "dad I'm solid on the small buck, can I just shoot it?" I kept telling her to relax, and take a deep breathe and to look for the big buck. During this time I could see her breathing getting worse as she was near shooting. Again I told her to relax and to pull the trigger slow. BOOOOMMM......then I heard a thwack. We all looked at each other as 7 or 8 deer start heading up and over the hill. We didn't know if she hit it but it sure sounded like it. My buddy who was filming through his spotting scope from across the deep canyon had to replay it on his phone. He then called us to let us know she dropped it. First deer tag after trying for 4 years and she made it worthwhile

post-610-0-13602700-1447014254_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-84813600-1447014320_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-73373100-1447014360_thumb.jpg

post-610-0-13387200-1447014428_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Wow that is one heck of a first deer! Congratulations to you both on a stud buck.

Very nice deer, congrats. Also congrats to the dude that threw that beast over his shoulders to get it out.

Very awesome buck, and great story. Sounds like you guys have some awesome glassers too. Huge congrats to your daughter.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. She shot close to 120 bullets with her .243 and close to 100 bullets with the 22-250 but decided on the 22-250 because she wasn't comfortable with the scope on her .243 . The 22-250 has a bsa scope with turrets and I was able to dial in distance with the strelok app. We were constantly at the range checking ranges and making sure the app would be dead on. She was hitting dead on all the way out to 600. Funny thing is we worked on long range over and over again and ended up shooting the deer at 150 yards. All that long range practice really helped cause she was really comfortable shooting at that deer. It was a really great experience cause I had her help me with reloading and we spent lots of father daughter time together.

• Like 2