Big Browns

Short but sweet

This story really began in on December 30, 2013 when I posted a plea for help on the last day of my late rifle Coues Deer hunt in Southern Az. That plea for help was answered by fellow CW member Josh Jackson (Fobshooter). Josh was able to meet me the next day in hopes to help me fill my tag on the last day of the hunt. As luck would have it, we were able to find several shooter bucks that day. It wasn’t until the last hour of the last day that I made a perfect 675 yard shot on a Buck. It wasn’t the Buck I had been dreaming of, but a Great last day Deer! I couldn’t have done it without Josh’s help!

Fast forward to 2015 after the Deer results had come out. Neither of us had drawn a tag in the regular draw, but I was lucky and got the same unit in the leftover draw. In fact myself and new CW member Tony (AviatorTony) had put in for the tag on the same app. I contacted Josh and asked if he would be willing to help me again. He answered without a doubt “YES”. Josh & I were hoping to help Tony get his first Deer.

After that first phone call it seemed like Josh spent every minute he could in the field looking for Deer. After several months of scouting Josh had found a LOT of good Deer. In fact he said this was the best year he has ever seen in Southern Az. As the hunt drew closer Josh and I were getting very excited! We could hardly wait for the hunt to begin.

Unfortunately a few weeks before the hunt started Tony had to cancel due to school and family commitments. Josh and I were both really bummed, because we both wanted to see Tony get his first Deer.

I had to work on Friday, but was planning on taking Sat-Wednesday to find a good Deer. Friday was a rough day at work. I had a massive head ache all day and my back was killing me. I wish I could say I was really excited, but I wasn’t. With all the stress from work and home I was a lot more stressed than I wanted. Thankfully the couple hour drive to Josh’s house helped me relax and get into the hunting moodJ

After arriving at Josh’s house he showed me around and the trailer I would be staying in. Josh had me set up like a King! This was when I got really excited! After a short night’s sleep Josh & I were off to find me a Deer. A short drive and hike later and we were sitting on a hill waiting for the sun to come up.

As the sun began to rise we both started our usual glassing routine. I figured it was going to take us a few days before we found a decent shooter Buck. Well, I was wrong! At about 6:20 I glassed a Buck directly across from us at 340 yards. The Buck was bedded looking directly at us. This began the shoot or no shoot discussion. This discussion went on for the next 3 hours, because the Buck never got out of his bed.

I had told Josh before the hunt began that I wasn’t going to be my normal picky self. I just wanted to have fun. If I got a decent deer I would be very, very happy. Size wasn’t a concern at all. Josh had made it very clear that he was not going to let me shoot the first day and we were going to pass on a lot of deer until we found a good deer. This is why the shoot or no shoot discussion started. I was perfectly satisfied & happy with the Buck laying down 340 yards from me. In fact I was REALLY, REALLY happy with him, but I told Josh I was going to let him make the decision. As the sun got a little higher we were able to see the Buck better and better. At that time we both decided the Buck was big enough and if he gave me a shot I was going to take him.

At 9:00 the Buck finally decided to stand up. As I settled in behind the scope I asked Josh if he was ready with his video camera and the binoculars. I must have been a LITTLE excited, because I didn’t give Josh a chance to answer, because before he could turn the video camera on I pulled the trigger. The buck hadn’t been standing for more than 3 seconds before I let him have the 308 sleeping pill. Immediately Josh said those magic words “He’s down”. The celebration began with hugs and high fives! We were both very excited!!!!!

When we got to the Buck I was not disappointed. In fact he was exactly what I was hoping to get on this hunt. A really nice mature Coues Deer Buck. As we made our way to the Buck, Josh called fellow CW member Mark (MJE1) to help with the pack out. After Mike arrived we all loaded up the processed Deer and began the easy hike outJ Josh and I were very thankful Mike showed up, because the Deer had a huge body. Thanks again mike for all your help! It was actually one of the easiest hikes out I’ve had in a long timeJ

This was one of my best hunts I’ve ever been on. I can’t thank Josh enough for all his help and kindness!!!!! People like Josh are exactly why I love CouesWhitetail.com…………..

Very special thanks to Josh & Mark for all the help!!!!!!

The last picture is my Buck from 2013.

post-1205-0-20265500-1447091756_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-45052500-1447091773_thumb.jpeg

post-1205-0-57874500-1447091825_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-42127900-1447092080_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-73057500-1447092251_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-94072500-1447092271_thumb.jpg

• Like 25

Awesome post Adam! Believe me, I am just as bummed but I'm glad it turned out to be a great trip. You deserve it! My sacrificed time went to good use. I'm approximately a few weeks before I accomplish my commercial rating. Next time we will do some scouting through a bird's eye view. Once again, congrats!

You are more then welcome Adam! As most people know Adam helps a ton of people on the phone as well as in the field. This motivated me to make this a great and we'll deserved hunt. I was honestly honored to be a part of his hunt.

Next time we are waiting on one of 110+ bucks. I would also like to thank Mark for helping out.

• Like 3

Congratulations to all three of you on a great buck! Way to go all the way around.

Great buck, Congrats!

Great buck, congrats Adam and way to go Josh.

Congratulations Adam! I was not too far away from you that morning, but in a different unit. Shortly after I heard your shot Mark called me saying you filled your tag. I just met Josh recently, but have hunted everything that walks for over 30 years...you were in pretty good company that day.

• Like 2