capoeirajosh

GPS recommendations

Just wanting to see what everyone is using and why. Right now I am using as old garmin etrex. The only thing I really do with it, is mark waypoints. Never use any of the other features, haha. In turn, I don't know too much about them. So, let's hear it! Not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but do want something that I can depend on with more up to date technology than what I have.

Garmin Oregon 450T. I like it SD card holds several topo maps I keep my waypoints for various units on software and when I'm headed to a particular unit I can load the waypoints if I have them.

• Like 1

iPhone 6+ & iPad with Garmin GLO and the Trimble Hunt Unit maps... Awesome!

I'm a huge fan of the Garmin GPSMap 60csx. Fantastic GPS unit, great battery life, fast satellite acquisition, nothing I don't like about these. My son has the Oregon and battery life is terrible.

• Like 3

Garmin 62 for sure. U can get the 64 If you want to spend a little more. I did a lot of research before buying mine and went with the 62st and so glad I did awesome gps!

• Like 1

Garmin 62 for sure. U can get the 64 If you want to spend a little more. I did a lot of research before buying mine and went with the 62st and so glad I did awesome gps!

How is the battery life on the 62st? Are you using lithium?

Thanks a lot guys! So, do these come with map chips or do you have to buy them separately? Are they full U.S. or by state?

I don't run lithiums but il say I have had it for about a year now and only replaced the batteries once. I always carry 2 double AA in pack just in case but I will run the gps on a 4-5 day hunt without using much battery life. It's hard to say because I only leave it on for about 1-2 hours a day it will track your route even when off so it doesn't need to be constantly on. As far as map chips the 62st comes with 100k topo which is good for the U.S and garmin has some other free downloads u can get. Personally I just bought the OnXmaps and never looked back. I love it

I don't run lithiums but il say I have had it for about a year now and only replaced the batteries once. I always carry 2 double AA in pack just in case but I will run the gps on a 4-5 day hunt without using much battery life. It's hard to say because I only leave it on for about 1-2 hours a day it will track your route even when off so it doesn't need to be constantly on. As far as map chips the 62st comes with 100k topo which is good for the U.S and garmin has some other free downloads u can get. Personally I just bought the OnXmaps and never looked back. I love it

Sounds awesome! Thanks man!

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ has all the free topo maps you want.

Here is link for AZ maps

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1

Thanks!!

Based on how you stated you use it.... I would say a Garmin GPS watch. I absolutely love mine and it's the best piece of hunting equipment I have. Simple, accurate and charges quickly with a usb.

I have another GPS I very nice one (Rhino 500 series) ... But don't use it.

The GPS watch and iPhone with Google Earth is all I need.