Sign in to follow this  
CouesHunterAZ

Looking to Buy Binoculars Under 500 dollars. Reccomendations

I wouldn't buy 12s or 15s without saving up more. In your price range, I would suggest the zen ray ed3s or primes. The clarity of zen ray glass will show you more than sub $1000 15x or 12x. Just my opinion but I researched a ton and looked through them all. In the end zen ray was the best glass under 500. They don't make anything bigger than 10x so that would be my recommendation.

• Like 2

I'd buy the minox 15x58's in the classified section. Better than the vortex, but heavy.

IMHO

I recently collected up a few pairs for comparisons and although edge quality was better on minox 15x58 ed than the vortex vulture 15x56- overall for what we want LIGHT AND CLARITY i would go with $500 vultures all day long over the minox ed. Now if ya save few more dollars the new NOT MADE IN CHINA minox made in Germany that is worth doing cux they stomp all over the old ed 15x58.

Fact is some of the newer cheaper models with hd are beating some of the old glass.

• Like 1

Played the big optic's game, not really my style of hunting, so I sold my Vortex 15's...

Nikon action EX 8x40's are what I use now, I believe they were under 300.00$...

Don't get 8s unless you hunt like Oneshot! He hunts in the thick stuff, up close and personal.

+1 votes for Nikon and Zen Ray. I don't like Vortex. Lots of color fringing and green hue around the edge of the glass. Boo.

I really like my Vortex Viper 15x50s...really it all comes down to what works best for you. Vortex offers a great warranty and if you've ever served in the military they've got a fantastic discount...

• Like 1

I got the Leupold Mohave bx-3 10 x 42's and they are like 375 before taxes.. Great glass

I have few leupolds now and really impressed! Older mojave green ring 10x42 and a pair 10x42 cascades and i gotta be honest here.. Not much difference in my swarovskis 8's from 2005 and new pair cascades so that is crazy advancement in glass.

Anyone have pair of leupold mojave 12x50?

• Like 1

I really like my Vortex Viper 15x50s...really it all comes down to what works best for you. Vortex offers a great warranty and if you've ever served in the military they've got a fantastic discount...

I can attest to the military discount part.. Good company treating us well! I keep threatening to try a pair of 15x50 vipers for carring in pack

• Like 1

Borrow some nice ones from a friend till you got $1k

And then wait a little longer so you can acquire the last pair you will every buy. Trust me, you will save money in the long run unless your looking way over the hill and don't have many hunts left. Even then, make the last hunts count. High quality glass is also really nice on old eyes. Your kids are just going to spend your money anyway when you're gone.

I said a good budget bono, of course there not saworo's but sounds like there are a few fans of Leopold. Now I would buy them Zeiss 10x42 on sale at bass pro on black Friday, now Zeiss is some serious glass laugh at that...

• Like 1

No one is laughing wildwoody. It is just that some of us have been there and spent hundreds before we spent thousands. If you count the optics I bought and replaced over the years my "serious glass" cost about double what I paid for it. We are just trying to help you avoid the same situation. No one is bragging. I wish someone had clued me in earlier as I could have another nice rifle on what I wasted.

Good luck. Education is not cheap.

• Like 3