Sign in to follow this  
Toph79

Hunter safety course

I had my son take the online hunter safety course and he passed but than he has to do the field day I called and got on a waiting list but I thought that list meant they would call when there was a opening its been like 6 months so I called and apparently they put me on the list for that one class only so now I think we are gonna have to start all over problem is I just found out he is drawn for javalina and when I went to online to check for field days there are none is there another way to get this class done or does anyone have any suggestions we have to be done with it before January 22

Toph79, at this point you need to keep calling the AZGFD, there is a problem and they need to keep hearing from the public about this. They tell us they have it under control but we have not seen that.

I will try to find a contact there at AZGFD that can shed more light.

Steve Clark, Arizona Elk Society

• Like 2

+1 There needs to be better coordination between fulfilling the online course and completing the field day. Let us know how this turns out.

• Like 1

Depending on how far you are willing to travel, you can make sure and let AGFD know that travel is an option (if it is). Up here in Flagstaff, we ended up organizing quarterly range days for online students because of the overwhelming demand. Most of our online field days are filled by non-locals and most of them are from the valley. Unfortunately, our next one won't be until sometime in April. I think more HE teams need to start moving that way to keep up with demand, especially when, like this fall, there were 600+ kids who had tags, but no hunter ed class completed at the time of the draw.

If you can find a regular class, you might be able to get in on their field day. We've also done that up here and I've worked with other HE teams that have.

Good luck and I hope it works out.

Finally got to talk to someone there that had some info but they told me I have to talk to someone else but they're off till next week smh so hopefully I can get this done before January you would think with that many kids taking the online course they would have more field days I'll keep ya posted on the next step

• Like 1

Call and get on a waiting list. I have three boys and one did the online and the other e day course. I took it too. Far and away the day course or weekend course was better. I know it's a bitch to get a class but call and they were great about calling me for a cancellation

Best of luck

We got a class scheduled for Jan 12 cutting it close for the Jan 22 hunt but I'll take it after I got ahold of the guy that they gave me the number to he told me my some would have priority since he has a tag thanks for your input it helped now he just needs to pass the field day and I have my hunting partner for life I've waited 10 years for this I'm stoked

Well after doing the field day he had his first hunt this last weekend and got his first pig so happy I was able to be a part of it best part is he hooked and wants to get out again

• Like 2

For those who don't mind coming to Kingman, we are TEACHING a two weekend Hunter Education class that starts on the second weekend of March.

Note that I say TEACH as that is what we do! Our students don't just get exposed to the concepts of Hunter Education, they are TAUGHT it and walk away with a lot more knowledge than they will ever get in an online class.

You must register on the Department's website. Go to Hunter Education, and follow the prompts.

I know its a long ways to drive, but in my opinion it is well worth it!

Class is limited to the first 40 who sign up! We make this class exciting and a lot of fun.

Some of our graduates will also receive a new pair of 10x50 binoculars, courtesy of the Mohave Arms Collectors Association, a couple of kids and their parent or guardian will get a free overnight striper fishing trip this summer on Lake Mead with me, and some lucky graduate and a parent will get to go on a one day varmint hunt with an experienced local varmint hunter.

It truly is an awesome learning experience for the kids.

Don Martin

Chief Instructor

Region 3

AZ Hunter Education

928-303-9481

That's really. Cool, I just wish it was much easier to get a HE class for us nonresident hunters who would love to have an extra bonus point.

Titanium700, IF you've had a hunter safety class in ANY state since 1980 you can take a one day class here in Kingman.

I'll be posting our class date on the AZGFD website soon, and that class is also limited to the first 40 that sign up.

All day class, starts at 7 a.m. ends around 6 p.m.

Guaranteed you will earn a lot about Arizona and our rules and regs, and especially how the draw system works.

Don Martin

Chief Instructor

Region 3

Thanks Don, looking forward to the dates, I will be in Arizona around the 3rd week of August and the leave for Hawaii for 2 weeks then come back to Arizona and will be there for about a week before I leave again.