Sign in to follow this  
Bisbee

last minute advice

Stay in the woods during the middle of the day. Don't head back to camp, hotel or wherever you are staying. If you need a nap, take it under a tree. Last year on the November hunt, my daughter took her bull mid day Friday and my wife took hers mid day Saturday. We almost had the woods to ourself at that time.

post-2989-0-36403600-1448239634_thumb.jpeg

post-2989-0-13332300-1448239683_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Know what a shooter is, and is not. Plus, everyone in your party that has a tag. Don't waste time with a target in sight and a discussion about what to do.

• Like 3

Keep calm and always remember, aim small miss small.

• Like 2

Good optics on a tripod are a must. Start glassing at first light, and don't stop until it's no longer legal to shoot. And like others said....don't go back to camp for lunch....just keep on hunting and most of all have a great time!

• Like 1

Make sure your vehicle is in good shape and tires are good. If you are going solo let someone know where you will be and check in daily.

Double check your gear, make a list and keep it with you every day before you go to add to and check off. Make a point to stop in and say hello to other camps close to you. Don't forget bullets, signed tag, license, rifle, knife and game bags. +1 on staying out all day.

Map, compass and gps.

Know where game processors are if you are not going to do that yourself.

• Like 3

You didn't mention if this is your first elk hunt, but if you plan on hiking any distance, a good pack frame is a must. Plus know how you plan on processing the animal once it's down. For me, I prefer the "gutless method". If you are not familiar with this, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that are a great help.

Be prepared for any kind of weather......rain, snow or both.

Also, I prefer to be visible to other hunters by wearing some orange.

• Like 2

Get high and glass hard. Lots of good advice here. Make a list and check it twice. Don't forget your tag.

Get high and glass hard. Lots of good advice here. Make a list and check it twice. Don't forget your tag.

"Get high"?

Don't overlook sitting water, even though it may seem wet out....Elk are as habitual as cattle.

• Like 1