Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

Best az backcountry jacket.

I'm in the market for a new hunting jacket. I ordered a cabelas guide wooltimate jacket with windshear and then cancelled the order because I realized that I didn't want it bring home every kind of sticker and grass seed known to the desert and I also thought it might end up being a little heavy. I would like to spend under $200. I'm getting by right now with a cheap jacket but it's huge. I layer with either a wool or poly base layer followed by a poly shirt and a poly or wool vest. I'm basically trying to decide if a windproof jacket is necessary and if there are any down jackets that will handle coues country. I don't plan on wearing the jacket much while hiking but sometimes it happens. What are you guys using? The kuiu guide jacket has my attention. I wish it came in camo but not a deal breaker. The Super down Hoodie also looks appealing but it seems like it needs a soft shell or something else protecting it but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Creed

Guest 300ultramag.

Im with you on this. Been running a carhartt for years time to pony up and get something I can put in my oack

I too run wool base then poly shirt and I bring a cheap fleece jacket. I use my light weight rain jacket for top layer windbreak if needed. This gets me through all year backpacking south of the rim, north in January can be 1 more layer

The Kuiu Peloton 200 or 240 Zip-T hoodies look nice. I'm one who gets hot real easy so usually only end up wearing a light jacket early in the mornings. I then put it in my pack before we start hiking out. Right now I just use a lightweight solid color fleece 1/4 zip style jacket. I've considered the Kuiu Teton soft shell jacket but it seems like it would be too much for me. So the Peloton 200 or 240 hoodies might be better? Those both have hoods like the guide jacket and come in camo like you want...

Kuiu softshell teton is a great jacket. I have a lot of kuiu stuff, and it's my favorite. I also have to pelotan 200 and it's a pretty good mid layer. For the money, kuiu teton is hard to beat

• Like 2

Just got my teton insulated jacket this morning. Thing is light as a feather. Layered under my teton soft shell jacket it is really warm. Really hard to beat the caliber of gear @ this price. Buy nice or buy twice

Best outdoors jacket, is the one I remember to take with.

I have the Sitka Jetstream jacket and use Under Armour base layers. It's great because there is no bulk at all and I feel like I can move easily and freely. Depending on which base layer level I choose, I can stay as warm as I want. I have only used the UA 4.0 once, and I got way too hot, and that was in 13 degree weather. I typically run the 2.5 or 3.0 in cold weather.

Ive been using the Kuiu teton soft shell for a couple months now. Super light and really warm for how thin it is. I totally recommend it! Only downside is no hood

X2. I have 2 hunts on mine now and I really like this jacket. Just be careful in the cats claws.

• Like 1

Most of my t shirts are a large. I looked at the measuring chart for kuiu and I measure out to a medium. I'm 5 10 and weigh 175. Do you think I need to size up or should a medium be fine from your experience with the Teton.

I got my new Kuiu Kenai and Super down this morning. Can't wait to get home and check it out. I have some of the Russell APXG2 stuff and been using it for 4 or 5 years. It is good stuff for the money. The tight weave polyester holds up real well to catclaw.

I use a kuiu guide jacket and carry the super down for the real cold mornings. Mine is in the verde camo. Works great. I ordered some of the teton line. Very appealing for the price. I love the super down. I order a pair of pants just to sleep in. Like wearing a down sleeping bag. I listened to a podcast where the kuiu guy was talking about weathering out a storm in his set of super down under his rain gear. I believe it. I carry mine everywhere when out bivying. Sleeping in a set doubles how much cold I can handle in my 30 degree down bag.

I hear you about collecting stuff on your clothes. I used to wear microtex a lot but it collects everything. Cat claw will do some damage but even as short as I am, it is usually the pants that take the beating.

Brent

Most of my t shirts are a large. I looked at the measuring chart for kuiu and I measure out to a medium. I'm 5 10 and weigh 175. Do you think I need to size up or should a medium be fine from your experience with the Teton.

I'm 5 8 and 160 and I have a large Teton jacket and it fits good, I would think a medium might be a little small. I wanted the guide jacket but it hasn't been in stock in vias for quite some time so I settled on the Teton. It is super light weight but the quality seems great.

• Like 1