Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Coconino National Forest Wants your Feedback On road Closures

Don't forget the people who want more roads that they can drive on with their 10 lb. cannons that shoot 700 yds. The only hunting they do is try to find the animal after they throw lead. Hunters who make sensible reasons to the FS will be listened to. Don't try to redefine hunting. More roads mean more people. That is not the hunting opportunity that I want. "The law of unintended consequences" is something to think about here.

ThomC I am not saying to add more roads. what I'm saying is that if the forest service had its way all roads but one main graded gravel road would be closed. That is the acess they want to give. I say leave the roads that are there now open and do not add more. When someone makes a new road catch them and prosecute them, then shut off that road so more people don't go down it.

This your opportunity to comment. Should you choose not to, you give power to those that do. Act accordingly.

Comment periods are all about body counts. I'd guarantee if you go to the Sierra Club, etc., etc. websites, they all have a "call to action" for this comment period. It IS important to voice your opinion.

Here's the link to read the proposal. Route Descriptions, proposed action, and maps.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=47435

The links to the right allow you to make comments through the official channels. The purpose and need statement doesn't look like a campaign to close more roads and further limit access to me, nor do the proposed actions or maps. But it could be scaled back or stopped, if all the hunters and people who want more motorized access sit back and watch instead of getting involved and commenting, even if it's to support the proposed action. You're better off commenting to support every action you agree with and against the ones you don't, than against just the ones you don't like. Supportive comments matter.

A little cut and paste from the purpose and need statement:

"The Coconino National Forest proposes the following actions to meet the purpose of and need for this project:

• Add designation of approximately 60 net miles of motorized camping corridors, along the roads listed in table 1 (below), and maps 1 and 2. Motorized camping corridors would extend 300 feet from either side of the road, except where limited by topographical factors, existing fences, or private land.
• Add designation of 107 net miles of roads to the designated road system, as shown on map 2. Added designated roads would provide access to areas historically used for motorized access and camping. Roads removed from designation would be removed to protect natural resources or reduce user conflict.
• Change designation of approximately 17 miles of roads as shown on map 1 and 2.
• Decommission approximately 7 miles of non-designated roads by blocking and revegetating, or in some cases obliterating the existing road bed using heavy equipment.
• Allow off-road motor vehicle use up to 1 mile from designated roads for retrieval of elk in game management units 5B North and 5B South."