Sign in to follow this  
rugerman

12AW Thanksgiving Day buck

My wife and I had great trip to the Kaibab this year for her late tag. We hunted hard for a week in the low country and saw lots of good bucks and a few great ones. She was only a second or 2 late getting set up on a 190+, I guess they get that big by making the right moves. She was getting a little discouraged after missing the holiday with our daughters until she shot this buck at 150 yards with the .25-06. I kept telling her to keep her chin up and how fast your luck can change on a hunt, I think she sees it now. It was our first hunt up there and we would love to do it again someday.

post-233-0-88851600-1448767053_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Congrats on a great buck and way to stick with it!

We did not. I'm sure some were taken judging by the quality of bucks we ran into. My wife was having trouble getting the scope on them in the thick PJ though. More time on a rifle would help her on that. I take for granted the hours I spent shooting BB/pellet rifles as a kid. Hopefully all the time my daughters spend shooting their pink Red Ryder will pay off.

We did see a bald eagle and I found a 25-35 case. Got me thinking about hunting the same area as folks a century ago

• Like 1

Congrats!

We did not. I'm sure some were taken judging by the quality of bucks we ran into. My wife was having trouble getting the scope on them in the thick PJ though. More time on a rifle would help her on that. I take for granted the hours I spent shooting BB/pellet rifles as a kid. Hopefully all the time my daughters spend shooting their pink Red Ryder will pay off.

We did see a bald eagle and I found a 25-35 case. Got me thinking about hunting the same area as folks a century ago

I here ya on the scope thing with wife and i tried to explain to mine this year how many countless hours i spent squeezing a trigger over probably 38yrs but well we know how the ladies can be. ;) think mine blamed it on me each time if i remember correctly.

Congrats again that is a fantastic deer

Nice! Congrats to her!

Thats hunting alright, it can go from low to high inside of about 10 seconds. ;)

Congrats on a nice buck. I went through the same thing with my daughter a few years ago. Like you said we take it for granted growing up with BB guns and the smaller caliber rifles.

Easy game to improve is put two "reaction" targets (those plastic ball things) in the yard or at the range 50 yards apart (left to right) and switch back and forth between the targets. Shoot 4 times on the clock and challenge each other. Can change the scope zoom to make it harder or easier.

More importantly, nice buck!