Viper

who has the Kuiu Superdown?.....update: please read my reply, 5 posts down

I just received the Superdown hooded and the Kenai jackets. I like the fit of both, and they seem to be toasty warm. I may be a little disipointed with the Superdown. It seems quite noisy, and the colors are darker than the Kenai (vias pattern).
How do you all use the Superdown in hunting situations....stalking, glassing only. Is it quiet enough under an outer shell? I assume the noisy outer fabric is due to being "down-proof".
Now the Kenai seems pretty quiet and warm.

I use a Patagonia down jacket which probably isn't as warm as the superdown. It gets used as mid layer insulation under a Peloton 240. I get warmth and wind pro from that combo and when layered under something quieter, the crinkly sound becomes a non-issue. I've used it this way for the last 3 weeks straight and usually stuff it when there's a decent hike ahead. I've stalked, glasses, and set ambushes worn this way. I also use my puffy to sleep in when it gets really cold.

• Like 2

Super down is best used in your pack until you need it around camp or glassing etc...it is not designed to be used during activity as it doesn't breath and is not as moisture tolerant as your kenai or other layers..

• Like 2

So...I'm still not sure what to think of the Superdown jacket. I put it on over a typical cotton shirt and walked to the mailbox...about 50 degrees outside. It didn't seem as toasty as I thought it should. If I spread it open and hold it up to the light, I can see several random spots of light. It seems these would be cold spots. Does anyone else notice this? It seems like Kuiu skimps a bit on the down, not completely filling each chamber of the garment. Maybe it's a non-issue.

If you have a Superdown garment, could you please check to see if you notice light spots showing through?....for comparison.

Thanks

I glass almost every night after work, weather ranges from 25-40 the last few weeks...I only use my super down and a long sleeve shirt. It seems to do well. Just remember to hang it from a hanger to keep loft when not in use.. I will hold it up to the light later this evening.

• Like 2

I have the hooded superdown. When pulling it out of a compressed position I can see light through it but it seems to fluff up pretty quick and the down feathers fill up the gaps.

I just got home from my brother's late elk hunt where morning temps were in the teens or low 20s with 20+ mph winds. I wore 2 base layers, the superdown jacket, and a thin rain jacket over top. My upper body was comfortable, wish I could say the same for my feet.

Remember kuius clothing is a layering system. Base layer, insulation, and outer shell. Superdown is an insulation layer so it is meant to have an outer shell over it to protect from wind/rain.

My only complaint is that it tears easily but that is another reason to use an outer shell.

• Like 2

Thanks for more input. I definitely understand the layering system. I recieved it Wednesday before Thanksgiving and has been laying out since. It is as fluffed up as it will get. I am just a little bugged that I see light through it at random spots. It seems it should have more fill. I've heard that some manufacturers have product built cheaper with less quality parts just for the big sales, like black Friday. ...makes me wonder.

Was out this am in my teton insulated and softshell in 27 degrees while glassing. Kept me warm. Actually had to open it up because I was starting to sweat.

I looked at mine this evening..lots of open areas in seams and seemingly light loft with light coming through, I can see how this might bother you, but I havent had any problems and it still is very warm...

• Like 1

I looked at mine this evening..lots of open areas in seams and seemingly light loft with light coming through, I can see how this might bother you, but I havent had any problems and it still is very warm...

Thanks for checking. That gives peace of mind that I didn't get a dud. I rolled it up into the hood and weighed it on my kitchen scale. The published weight is 10 oz. Mine weighs 10 3/4 oz. So it meets spec.

Viper - I purchased mine a few weeks ago too and my impressions are similar to yours. It hasn't been very cold here at the house and while I'm certainly not cold while wearing it, I don't feel as warm as expected. I unfortunately won't have a chance to test it in really cold weather until January, but I'm hoping with layering it works as well as promised. Maybe it's a similar concept to the merino base layers, feels comfortable in a wide range of temps. It's hard to imagine something so thin could be warm!

Viper - I purchased mine a few weeks ago too and my impressions are similar to yours. It hasn't been very cold here at the house and while I'm certainly not cold while wearing it, I don't feel as warm as expected. I unfortunately won't have a chance to test it in really cold weather until January, but I'm hoping with layering it works as well as promised. Maybe it's a similar concept to the merino base layers, feels comfortable in a wide range of temps. It's hard to imagine something so thin could be warm!

I too will be testing it late Dec and Jan. I'm kind of hoping for cold weather 😆

Saturday I put the Kenai to the test in 45* and rain. I wore it under my rain jacket...toasty warm all day.